Atlas TH48 quick-change tool post, OXA or AXA

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

speedypetey

Atlas TH48 quick-change tool post, OXA or AXA

Post by speedypetey »

I just acquired an old Atlas TH48 lathe. It came with an old-school fixed small 4-way tool post, not a single point. Thing is, it's small, pretty beat up, and does not sit at the correct height.

I am looking at the inexpensive Shars quick-change tool post and holders. First, for occasional use in a home shop, I assume the Shars equipment is fine, right?
Second, should I get OXA or AXA size?? The AXA seems more flexible, but both will do 1/2" tools so is there an advantage to the larger one?
John Evans

Re: Atlas TH48 quick-change tool post, OXA or AXA

Post by John Evans »

AXA would be my choice for 10-12" Atlas. Spend a bit more for the wedge style post rather than the piston style.I have used both and prefer the wedge as it seems more rigid .
www.chaski.com
schor

Post by schor »

AXA for the 10" th48. I put on e on my th54 and it's perfect.
Steve
Check out http://www.youtube.com/MyShopNotes on YouTube.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Go with the AXA.

And get a Phase II.

I've had a new phase II piston toolpost, a used generic wedge and a used Phase II piston.

The phase II wedge is better than the phase II piston, but the phase II piston was actually way better than the generic wedge.

You can find good used Phase II toolposts on ebay. You can sometimes get a deal on an Aloris, but some of the old Aloris toolposts are piston.

Also, your 4-way toolpost can probably be shimmed up to the correct height, so don't get rid of it yet.

Steve
speedypetey

Post by speedypetey »

Thanks all!

Yes, after some looking around and measuring I see the AXA is the right choice.
As always I have been keeping lookout on eBay, for many things.

And yes Steve, you're right. I have been shimming the post itself and some tools as well. Still a tiny bit off which I hate. I really like the idea of being about to micro-adjust the position and height easily.
New thread to follow.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

speedypetey wrote:And yes Steve, you're right. I have been shimming the post itself and some tools as well. Still a tiny bit off which I hate. I really like the idea of being about to micro-adjust the position and height easily.
Shim the whole unit up to where the largest tool bit you can fit is at the correct height (e.g. 1/2").

Keep a pile of spacers and shims around to put under smaller tools - e.g. if you have a 3/8" tool bit, use a 1/8" spacer and keep some shim stock around to fine tune.

Steve