South Bend Tailstock info needed... FOUND!!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: South Bend Tailstock info needed... FOUND!!

Post by spro »

Dang I'm ready to screw an outside panel onto an area before the snow and Can't find my screws. Just the right self drilling screws for this one thing. In memory they are at different places. 2" deck screws are too long and various other short screws are tire killers. Digression, no?
I meant to say more about the drift in tension. Once it is rapped in, a whack parallel to the spindle should release the taper. They are built for that and old ones show the evidence. That way, a serious blow is not from the side. Thrust bearings!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Spro, I looked at my spindle and at all my Morse tapers. As you suggested the tails stock does indeed release the MT via a tang - if you have the tang! 5 of 6 MT's I own, have the tangs ground off. Found one with a tang, the tang didn't fit. So ground it down a bit, made it thinner cross section and a bit off the edges, and it works perfectly. Pops right out just as it should.

One other MT has an interior threaded small end with a set screw in it. Looks like a 3/8"x26 thread. Of course I only have 3/8x24 tap and dies, so thinking about threading a piece of 3/8" drill rod to 26 TPI. And screwing it into the end of the taper so it will act as a tang. Maybe this thing is a metric thread, hence the odd size?

I need two or three tailstock arbors- are they called arbors when used in a tailstock??- for one large drill chuck, one small drill chuck with center drill, and one live center.

Anyway, seems doable.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
spro

Post by spro »

Hold on now. I'm dead simple about lathes. A screw in the back of a taper works with an ejection, not a drift.. okay you didn't say that. I think "Shank" is still a word. MT# taper or shank. The other thing is knowing the Jacobs #33 or whatever taper, SuperChuck was/is larger so it would already have its larger shank. (I'm struggling Harold)
Well they can be called arbors or most anything. They sell cheap because people don't know what they are talking about. But a live center is already a unit of your taper, Done. The rest are adaptors which fit the tail ram and have 3/8" x24 tpi or whatever. One thing is to not extend any further than necessary. Plan it down to simple short ways.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

In my experience with SBL's, the tailstock feed screw by itself
was the means used to eject tooling from the spindle (or quill).
The "standard" tailstock didn't have any "button" or any added
extension to the feed screw but I have seen where someone had
added this feature for one reason or another.

Usually, Morse Taper tooling that has a tang will prevent the spindle
(or quill) from fully retracting (back to the zero graduation on the
spindle) without ejecting. Morse Taper tooling without the tang
should eject just before the spindle hits its internal stop just passed
the zero mark when retracting.

I suspect that some lathes have had their tailstock screws shortened
to allow the spindle to retract to zero with tooling that have a tang.
This leaves them a little short to eject non-tang tooling and to remedy
this, some kind of extension was added to restore the length of the
screw so that non-tang tooling will eject satisfactorily. I have used
the ball bearing trick to overcome a short Morse Taper tool.

My 11" Logan has a tailstock spindle designed to accept tanged tooling
and has the ejection slot in it for a drift.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb