Today's Score !

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Today's Score !

Post by John Evans »

My tool dealer friend took in a 16X40 lathe recently and in the bits with it was a Genny Swiss multi-fix toolpost and several holders. Size 'A" same as I use on my 12X36 which I have a fair collection of holders. This one is going on my SB heavy 10. Need to order a few more holders from China and it only takes a second to adjust center height anyway so can interchange pre loaded holders between lathes. Did I mention I Love the Multi-fix style post!! :D
And the price was SO right I can't say . :wink: Only bad thing is the parting holder that uses hard to get 3/8 high blades, may be a mod in that holder's future.
Attachments
corvair box 005.JPG
corvair box 006.JPG
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Re: Today's Score !

Post by SteveHGraham »

Well, we all hate you now.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

With the money you saved, you can buy a parting blade holder that will fit in the slot on a regular toolholder. You can get one that uses more common sizes.

I think mine holds 1/2" blades. I will check if I have any 3/8", because I don't think I have anything they will fit.

Steve
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

John, I have a Tripan cutoff holder that takes 3/8" blades, this seller on ebay has them and they're very reasonable
even with shipping from the UK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141248897414?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

My unfortunate situation with them is that the Tripan holder used blades that had the tops and bottoms beveled,
the ones from Sheffield-Tools are square, so if your Multifix holder uses such blades you won't have to modify
the holder.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

jcfx wrote:My unfortunate situation with them is that the Tripan holder used blades that had the tops and bottoms beveled...
Like this:
20170218_175737.jpg
Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Yep ,my Swiss made holder uses the beveled blades. Don't really need a blade for it that bad,just offends me to have a empty holder sitting around. I have a Chinese Multi fix on my 12" lathe so those holders will also be used on the SB. Just reset center to suit whichever lathe. The Chinese parting holder is made a bit different and accepts 1/2 tall blades.
Made a T nut for it to fit the SB today ,so now have 2 lathes that use a common tooling system. The new post came with the holder that takes Morse taper adapters ,but no adapter!! Guess I will order a few more holders and that adapter from Create tool in China.
www.chaski.com
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

SteveM, looks like the 3/8" cut off bits from Sheffield Tool won't work. Never seen that kind of blade before.

The Tripan 134 holder, which is discontinued as are the blades, take flat cut off blades which the
Sheffield Tools blades almost fit, just need to set up the mill to grind them. The latest Tripan cut off holders
take still have a bevel but it's symmetrical, like a teeny tiny dovetail, regular square top and bottom flat blades
fit and work ok.
The old OEM Tripan blades have a V groove on top and a bevel on the bottom.
Forgot to mention that PeteH was the one who found the source on eBay.

This is the cutoff holder I have, tried to get the picture to show the odd groove and bevel.
Attachments
tripan 134.JPG
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If either of you can use that blade, let me know. It's nothing I can use.

I checked my stash and I didn't have anything in 3/8".

Steve