Newby on Board

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: Newby on Board

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Rainer, Dennis Turk just wrote a long post about Dalton Lot 2 lathes on the Yahoo "Dalton Gang lathe group". It might be worth while for you to join as Dennis is maybe the world's best expert on Dalton Lathes. He owns so owns around 9 or 10 of these machines, and restores them to museum quality condition.

His post should be visible in the group archives- within the last day or so. Apparently only a few lot 2 were built, and some were shipped to Europe before and during WWI. He states in his,post, that Dalton Co. modified the Lot 2 and started wholesale production with Lot 3, 4, and 5. So yours is rare indeed!

Glad you identified your Machine. They are fun lathes.

Here I am taking some finishing cuts on a bunch of 90 year old 6" double flange RR turntable wheels axle sets for a 12" gauge (300mm) miniature railway. The old cast iron wheels have a 2.5" (70mm maybe?) radius bearing hole in center, which I converted to a pressed in core and then turned down 25mm axle ends to accept flange bearings, as you can see in the photos. Turning on centers works very well. My lot 5 - cuts like butter, and produces a fine finish with the little 1/4" cutters. Really enjoyable to work with this machine!
IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

Glenn, I Mail with Dennis since some Days.
He is really the Expert for this Machines.
He told me, He has restored more than 60 of These Old Lathes during
the Past 18 Years.

Glenn, do you know what the two Screws, left and right on the Tailstock, are for?

I Can Screw them in and Out, but only for nothing.

Thanks for your Replay
Rainer
spro

Post by spro »

The tailstock alignment screws? These are also used to set an intentional taper between head and tail centers, for taper turning. One doesn't work unless the opposite one is loosened and the tail clamp is loose. When these are set perfect both are tight. When lathes are painted it obscures the seam between the bed plate and the tailstock casting. To adjust for taper it may be necessary to cut the paint and dis assemble or it won't move at all.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, second what Spro said. The screws are used to offset the top of the tailstock for tapering cuts.

My tailstock is very tight also, hard to move. If you disassemble, clean the paint and old dried oil off the joint and clean and oil the machined upper and lower surfaces, the top end of the headstock should slide back and forth. The screws together hold the top end in place- equal pressure from both sides. Or, turn one in, back the other out to set taper.

One other possibility. If your screws turn but don't move the tailstock, the holes in the casting might be stripped. I suspect this is the case with my Dalton. If so, time to run a slightly larger tap and fit next size screws. (Thanks for reminding me- I need to go check this!)

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Rainer

Post by Rainer »

@spro @Glenn

Thanks for your Reply.

"I´m really a Newby.....". I´m not a Machinist, my Profession are
Computer/ Computer-Networks and so on.
So i´m a Newby in Lathes and to use them.

I check this and reply soon as possible.

Rainer
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Rainer, hey, we are all newbies of sorts... always learning. Great to have you participate on the forum, particularly with a Dalton. Are you thinking about building a Locomotive?

Rainer

Post by Rainer »

Hi Glenn,

"..... Are you thinking about building a Locomotive?....."

Nice Idea, as Newby to do such Work :-)

Not for the Moemnt, because there are to much Projects, I have to make.

Renovate my House, Build in 1880
To do some "Cosmetics" at the other Buildings ( 1906 and later )

"Renovate" the Dalton, build in 1913/1914

To keep Time with/ for my Wife ( she is much younger than my House )....

Yesterday I could spend some Time with/ for my Lot-2 Dalton.

The Tailstock is at Work now, I can screw the two Screws by Hand .
20170307_143213.jpg
20170307_142903.jpg
After the Work, to fix the Tailstock-Problem, I dismanteled the Headstock a little bit.

20170307_130055.jpg
20170307_130105.jpg
20170307_130125.jpg
I need some Tools, to dismantle the Bearings properly, but I think,
the Pictures upstairs show, what happens with the "MainSpindle" of the Headstock.

The inner Diameter of the Spindle is 15mm, the outer Diameter ist 25,xy mm,
the Dimensions for the Chuck are 30mm x 8

After the needed Tools are arrived, I do a little bit more....

Unfortunetly, the Lathe ist 50 Km ( metric Kilometer ) far away from my Home, so it needs some Time,
to see her again.

Oh, by the Way, if anyone ist interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162402027097?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I would by it for myself, but unfortunetly, Ebay can not contact the Seller by Email.
And for the Moment, the Seller don´t offer International Shipping....

Regards
Rainer
spro

Post by spro »

Rainer, thanks for the informative reply and the link to the tailstock on Ebay. I didn't know a Dalton tailstock was available. Mine is okay but somebody needs that one. I need to scrape the paint off mine and reveal that emblem. Much info there! Also; your head stock exploration is interesting. I don't recall that radial ball thrust bearing at the End. It is done very well and I must investigate. At this time I think your lathe has had some German engineering. This is really neat and better than bronze thrust rings.
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

Spro,
the radial ball thrust at the End is handmade.
When the needet Tools are here, I dismantle the Mainstock and make some detailed Pictures.

I have Contact with the Seller, who found the Lathe.
He told me, the Apron was tuned by an Angel Grinder in the Past,
to clear the aprons Surface

Maybe, at some Time, it was better, to use a Machine from the USA
but do not show, from where it is ( WW2 ).

Maybe, it is Work of an apprentice, because, on the Inside of the Mainstock,
in the metal casting, there is the Name Damien readeble.
( I dont know, if this was an opportunity at Dalton-Factory at this Time,
I ask Dennis, maybe he knows it )

We will see, what I find during the next Weekend.

For me it would be interested to know the Serialnumbers of the Dalton Lot-2 in and outside the USA
( to have Contact to the Owner and to the green one Dalton Lot 2 in the USA that was sold on Ebay-USA some Days before.
Seller was gigigirI111, here is the Link:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/401013594188?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

I mailed to gigigirl111, but got no Answer.

Dennis told me, this Machine could be the most original Lot 2 in this Time in the World.

Known SerialNumbers of the Lot 2 in the Moment ( for me ) / Updated 16.03.2017
????? maybe USA

in the USA

UK/ Scotland

?????

?????

One Machine was found in Holland, but heavily damaged and so without Serialnumber.

in Germany

Intersted for these Machines in
Israel
USSR and the green one

Regards
Rainer