Quick change tool holder modification.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcostello

Quick change tool holder modification.

Post by mcostello »

For those of Us that use small tools such as boring bars in bigger tool holders this is an idea that makes using shims to get the tool holder high enough a moot point.
Tool holder.jpg
Magicniner

Re: Quick change tool holder modification.

Post by Magicniner »

Nice towel, not sure what you're getting at with the rest though, all my QCTP holders have screw adjustment.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

This will bring the top of the tool holder above the top of the tool post.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Been there as well ... but I made a switch to using round shank boring bars and aloris style holders when possible instead of the turn/face/bore style like your using and the problem went away .

Surface finishes also vastly improved with the switch , my experience has been that the more surface area of the tool in contact with the holder and the tool holder to the tool post the less harmonics you get ... which leads to more accurate boring and better surface finishes .. especially with small bars .

Some day I hope to replace all my bars with a selection of solid carbide , I have one solid carbide bar now and I absolutely love it . But it's an expensive way to go so I'll just pick them up when found on the cheap
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I am trying to discern a few details that seemed to be out of focus. This is a rectangular block with a hole threaded to fit the adjustment screw (maybe m10x1) and a 1/4-20 cap screw?

I can see the purpose, just curious about the construction details.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Yes You have it correct. 2 lock nuts could be used to hold things in position.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Those of us with AXA tool posts may not get the purpose of this, because the slots in our toolholders aren't all that big.

This looks to be for larger tool posts where the slot might be 3/4" tall and a small boring bar will be sitting the bottom of that slot, too low to be on the centerline.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks Steve. That explains it to me.