delta rockwell 11" metal lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Re: delta rockwell 11" metal lathe

Post by John Evans »

When posting go to full editor and below the text block click on the "attachments" button. follow the prompts .
www.chaski.com
chucksue

Post by chucksue »

I have a set of gears coming .
chucksue

Post by chucksue »

I got a set of gears and the thread feed is correct.
spro

Post by spro »

Very happy you received the gears and can go further. I have no idea where you found them. Sometimes people don't know what type of lathe we are talking about. If they were to look inside the headstock, they would see it is a very powerful package.
These lathes were overlooked for a while but that has changed.
spro

Post by spro »

later
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

wlw-19958 wrote:Hi There,

IIRC, take the number of teeth the gear has, add 2
to that number and then divide by the outside diameter.
This should give you the diametral pitch of the gear.
Pressure angle is something you will need a gauge to
check.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I have the same problem, but my lathe is metric; mostly. Anyway the gear bore sure is so I assume the gear pitch is too.
Will that trick still work do you think? Assuming of course, a diameter measurement in CM.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Well, additional steps are required. Metric gears use the Module
of the gear expressed in millimeters. When using the Module, the
bigger the number the bigger the gear teeth. The Diametral Pitch,
the bigger the number, the smaller the teeth. The way to convert
from the Diametral Pitch of a gear to Module is to divide 25.4 by
the Diametral Pitch (i.e. M = 25.4 / DP). For example, a gear with
a Diametral Pitch of 20 would have a Module of: 25.4 / 20 DP = 1.27

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Thanks; really I need to know the number in mm, as that will be how they're ordered.
I suppose in reality the pitch will be a whole number of mm, therefore not so difficult to figure out.
That assumes the gear pitch is metric; my lathe is a weird machine, with a mixture of imperial [lead screw for instance] and metric [almost everything else] components.
As the change gear center hole is a metric bore, I assume the tooth pitch is metric as well.

What would be very useful is to know if any other, more common lathes have the same pitch, because mostly change gears I've seen advertised are sold according to the lathe they were made for, and the specifications aren't mentioned.
So, that's why I need to find the pitch.
spro

Post by spro »

This is more about the Delta Rockwell 11" lathe but may apply. Mine is 25-117 Special (says so on the plate) Plates are funny because the same plate says it is 24" between centers when it is obviously 36-37". The observation is that there were two different end covers for the left side. The pictures I have seen, show a hinged cover, whereas mine is wider and uses two thumb screws to detach it. There is another plate/chart indicating the gears required for metric threading.
This gets back to the "Special". Three jaw, four jaw, collet chuck, collets and other special attachments have to be stored. In the lower drawer at the right, are many gears and a quadrant/ banjo for metric. I think that is why the cover is larger and the dual gears.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've only seen 2 different (standard sized?) covers on the earlier examples that use a hand wheel rather than lever speed control. One is a single piece that appears to be standard. The other must have been an option for lathes shipped with lever collet closers, or shipped as dedicated production turrets? It had a separate top section that enclosed the rear of the spindle and was screw mounted. The lower 3/4 or so was hinged allowing access to the gear train. That's what I had, and the benefit was you could open the cover for service without removing the collet draw tube and lever assembly. I've never seen one that had room to run the metric transposing gears with cover closed. But mine didn't have those, and the only extra gear I had was the one stored on the stud under the cover.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Okay. Yes. Mine is 1978 with the lever speed control. Taper attachment lives there. Dang the reason the cover /gear guard wasn't hinged is because there wasn't any room for it to swing over the drip pan edge. The bench was wide enough but it was a tight package.
spro

Post by spro »

Correction: the date is 4-71 . It has the lever speed adjustment. it was probably spec'd for universal maintenance within a service vehicle during 'Nam. Another pallet was the Dumore Mastermill head with most attachments. The index holding fixture was attached to the lathe's head. Some were stolen, as the ways then, with items falling out of boxes in the weather. To my credit, I never stole anything while there was evidence that some did. They got some pieces but I got the whole thing cheaper.