Vfd for lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dannys

Vfd for lathe

Post by dannys »

Can somebody recommend a cheaper vfd for a Powermatic model 90 lathe. It has a 1.5 hp 3 phase motor on it?

A friend of mine recommended AC Tech but I thought that was pricey. I was hoping for something less expensive.

https://shop.actechdrives.com/AC-Tech-L ... n01sxb.htm

Thanks
SteveHGraham

Re: Vfd for lathe

Post by SteveHGraham »

Drives Warehouse has some cheaper drives. Be careful to check out the brand before you buy.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
stevec

Post by stevec »

HuanYang VFDs are pretty cheap but don't buy one unless you can decipher the setting procedures.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I use Siemens, Mitsubishi, ABB and a couple of other major brands, I never buy a VFD for which you can't download a well written, legible English manual with a full parameter list including good definitions.
Google search "VFD Help" and see how many have saved money by buying something they can't understand or use properly, and furthermore can't get decent support for because the manufacturer and seller don't speak English competently and live across an ocean :D
jmanatee

Post by jmanatee »

Both HuanYang VFDs I have came with very clear manuals with clear details about settings, now people understanding all the settings is a different story. And they are only around $130 delivered.

I always buy a VFD for bigger then HP or KW rating, so in your case I would buy one for 2.5 - 3 hp

JMO
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Magicniner wrote: I never buy a VFD for which you can't download a well written, legible English manual with a full parameter list including good definitions.
For the love of God, tell the rest of us which brand that is.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

jmanatee wrote: I always buy a VFD for bigger then HP or KW rating, so in your case I would buy one for 2.5 - 3 hp
You don't have to do that with good quality industrial drives, I guess the corners cut for stuff aimed at home use probably make it a good idea though.

- Nick
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I think people do that because they're confusing different types of phase converters. I'm pretty sure that when Hitachi or Mitsubishi puts "3 HP" on a VFD, they really mean 3 HP.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

SteveHGraham wrote:
Magicniner wrote: I never buy a VFD for which you can't download a well written, legible English manual with a full parameter list including good definitions.
For the love of God, tell the rest of us which brand that is.
Siemens and ABB documentation is definitely good enough to get a novice who can read and understand well written technical documentation up and running in under half a day.
My experience is that you get what you pay for and cheapest is often poorly supported or poorly constructed, or both.
The drive on my lathe has been powered on and regularly used for over 10 years and was ex-industrial automation kit when I bought it, it's one of the old LED display model Siemens Micromaster Vector drives, it's twin runs my power hacksaw with the same on time and intermittent use.

- Nick
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's amazing how little effort Chinese manufacturers put into helping consumers understand their products. And American universities don't offer courses in Chinglish.
jmanatee

Post by jmanatee »

My understanding is most, if not all, electronics in most of these VFDs are made in China. Despite where they claim there country of origin is.

Other then a little chinglish in the manual I received for both my Huanyang VFDs they are very clear to understand. with details about settings.

I am not trying to push the Huanyang but if it works and its cheaper, I would rather spend money on tooling.

There are a lot of people using these VFDs with great success.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I think the de-rating comes from 2 things.

For the cheapest units, there is valid concern for typical cheap import extreme over rating (5+HP shop vacs and compressors come to mind).

But most of this likely comes from discussions around using 3Ph units with 1Ph input. If that is your goal, and the unit rating is not already based on 1Ph input, then you have to de-rate accordingly.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper