New here, Hi

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Hopefuldave

Re: New here, Hi

Post by Hopefuldave »

I'm surprised nobody suggested it, so I will: Southbend "How to Run a Lathe", old editions are all over t'internet for free download!

Dave H. ( the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader
pete

Re: New here, Hi

Post by pete »

As good as as some of the Youtube videos are and a whole lot of very good forum posts are the same they can't really go into enough detail. The format isn't really set up to do so. The South Bend book How to Run a Lathe is about the best entry level book you'll find and will teach you enough to know what questions you need answered on the forums like this one. Ebay etc will turn up more than a few copies and it's probably online somewhere.Even just learning the correct terms helps a lot when asking questions.

Edit, I see Dave beat me to the South Bend book idea. :-)

The George Thomas book The Model Engineers Workshop Manual is a lot more advanced but well worth it no matter how far you get into this. Not exactly cheap at about $50. But the cheapest price is usually ordering from Hemingway Kits or Tee Publishing in the UK. The Ebay sellers are bandits for what they want for it.Third a used copy of Machinerys Handbook also on Ebay. But it's a referance book used to look up standards, tables, etc and not really meant to be read other than the topic you currently needing information about. One from the 1960s to 1980's would be all you'd ever need for manual machine tools. A Craftex lathe would have been bought from Busy Bee tools. I've no idea if they still support the lathe or carry spare parts for it though. My guess is your a fellow Canadian.