New here, Hi

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

godwine

New here, Hi

Post by godwine »

Hello

I am new to the forum, my only exposure to lathe is just 2 small keychain project when i was in elementary school

I recently received a free small hobby lathe from a friend, who received it from a deceased relative. He gave me a bunch of bits, but i can't tell what are for woods or metal, and i don't know the orientation of how i should insert the bit. Someone can give me some guidance?
spro

Re: New here, Hi

Post by spro »

Hi and welcome to the forum. There are books about the very questions. I'm not a real smart person so I need to get the CONCEPTS down and relate them to every other type of material. You have speed and feed and primarily angle of attack. It is a battle to cut/turn metal to any reasonable tolerance if you can't apply stable and forceful pressure to the correctly sharpened angled tool. It isn't like ... well anyway, to your question.
First we would like to know the exact machine that you are using. That makes a lot of difference into how this proceeds.
godwine

Post by godwine »

This is a Craftex B1979C, i found the user manual online, reading it through now!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Welcome to the forum. The moderators here are professional with many years of experience. Supporting them are many subscribers who also represent many years of experience. Together, they can answer any question you may have. You appear to be completely clueless as to lathe operation. I would suggest going on you tube and watching some lathe videos. That would be a first step; then get a book on machine shop operation. One that is used as a school textbook would be a good choice. Without some basic knowledge, you will find it hard to be able to post a question and expect a useful answer.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Welcome! Post photos of anything that confuses you. Photos are much better than words.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

That machine was designed for metal but I read some reviews. It is stout for its size yet there is some flex about the tailstock and points. There's lot more information than before to cure various issues but not all have those issues. In a way, many of these machines need a little custom tuning. Everyone either does that or sells it. At some point, a person has a heavy little lathe sitting right there. I believe you start where everyone does. The proper tool at center, things lubed and go for it. One thing which plays on "play" is the likelihood that the tool "rocks" under the pressure and cuts deeper. That is; the axis of the cutting tool swings a larger arc than what was measured. This doesn't seem to be a problem with heavier lathes but you will definitely see this. I saw it often and that is why the hated "lantern" type toolposts remained so long. There were different angles of the tool holders so the tool would fall back, instead of digging deeper. When everything is right and tight, proceed opposite, whatever.

I composed this before the previous responder, who I respect! So do I delete ? NO. The road is good when traveled and there are many footprints.
spro

Post by spro »

Well dang, this is starting to look like democracy. Who do or don't or both or whatever. I learned a long time ago to not dismiss "newbies".
spro

Post by spro »

Wood cutting tools are ..tell me. Chisels with handles are obvious but worn metal cutting tools work with wood.
BTW folks: have you seen the movie "THE STAIRCASE" ? Kind of movie.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Welcome aboard. Looks like a fun little lathe to learn on; just beware, it can get addicting!

I would suggest YouTube videos; Mr Pete/Tubalcain has some very good ones.

You can also check to see if there is a vocational school nearby where you can take some classes.

Good luck and have fun!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You would be surprised at all the junk you can get for that little lathe. You might want to look at Littlemachineshop.com. There is also an informative site called Mini-Lathe.com.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

I have one other suggestion. READ, READ, READ! This board and anything you can find on machining. It's amazing what you can learn. Even manufacturers catalogs often have a lot of information. Then practice, practice, practice. Don't be afraid of making scrap, we all have and always will.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi and welcome! +1 on watching tubalcane videos on YouTube. Lots of good stuff there and the videos have helped me understand much about metal turning. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. Someone, usually several people will offer different suggestions about how to proceed.

Also, one other tip. Search the archives (search line top right corner of the forum). Lots of good discussion has already gone on in the past. The search feature helps identify what others have inquired about.

Regards
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....