Motor and VFD for LeBlond 13" roundhead Regal

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Motor and VFD for LeBlond 13" roundhead Regal

Post by spro »

The 13" Clausing Colchester has a keyed L0 taper spindle. That's about 3 3/16" at the big end. The locking ring is 4 1/2" ID so it's pretty HD for a 13".
spro

Post by spro »

A little more info: Rockwell also made the 14" swing long bed, biggest and badest at that time. It still had L00 nose. I could have said that yesterday or 20 years ago but that is why the large motors with the Clausing Colchesters. These were production machines, very heavy beds and saddle/apron components more steel than iron. Bed ways wore and it is too freaking bad about that. Headstock bearings super precision etc. stuff..
spro

Post by spro »

I actually have a humpback/round head Clausing Colchester 13" . It was shot when I got it but couldn't pass it up. It was a project and I removed everything. The bed ways were a disaster from the beginning but there was still so much there. I will part it out but the cross slide and compound are so very cool.. Ah whatever, needs to go to another. All the QC gears and lead screw. Entire head, saddle, apron stored away. Tailstock a beauty of style. I can't believe it came to this, yet stuff isn't getting any younger. Tarps, oil are a mirage while rust abides. Sick over extension when things cannot be used or properly stored.
Yet I know the machine fairly well by cleaning and inspecting the slides and how they did things. Pretty quality work. The head was not simple at all. Parts of it were gone for there are many shafts and there was braking and different clutches and complex English engineering going on there.
Hey it was ride to actually know more about these. Were it be to a slightly different situation, this lathe would be working.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

"The 13" Clausing Colchester has a keyed L0 taper spindle. That's about 3 3/16" at the big end. The locking ring is 4 1/2" ID so it's pretty HD for a 13"."

Mine came with a D1-4 spindle. I did get it used from a machine dealer, so no fantastic deals on that machine.

Jim B