Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

Marcel333
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby Marcel333 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:30 am

choprboy wrote:Nice, looks like they came out quite good for a first go. A bit of emery cloth and successively finer grit, they should take a high polish (not that you necessarily want that). I'm betting that coming up will be another set of handles, this time with a fixed stub and free-floating knob.

Now you just need to make yourself a ball turning attachment to put a curved surface on them. Than a taper attachment for a long graduated handle. Then a grinding attachment for turning to exact size. Then a quick change toolrest, and a few dozen different tool holders. Then an indexing plate for accurately inscribing radial marks. Then a turret tailstock for holding multiple tools. Then a self-release die holder for repeated thread to a set depth. Then a ....

(I think we have another one hooked boys!)

haha seems like I've got a few projects to choose from

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

spro
Posts: 6752
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: mid atlantic

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby spro » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:45 am

Not for me to say, as it is a fine lathe as it is. The minor hurt is when a person really gets into the machine and yes, it is a keeper. Then goes looking for the attachments mentioned. Then to find exactly what you want, sold days before.

Marcel333
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby Marcel333 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:51 am

spro wrote:Not for me to say, as it is a fine lathe as it is. The minor hurt is when a person really gets into the machine and yes, it is a keeper. Then goes looking for the attachments mentioned. Then to find exactly what you want, sold days before.

It has already happened. I found a milling attachment for it, phoned the seller and he told me he had sold it just a few minutes prior for a very cheap price.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

spro
Posts: 6752
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: mid atlantic

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby spro » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:30 am

Holy smokes or whatever term!. I didn't mean it to happen but it has happened to me and others. Dang!!!!

Marcel333
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby Marcel333 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 am

spro wrote:Holy smokes or whatever term!. I didn't mean it to happen but it has happened to me and others. Dang!!!!

Yes. And they're not the easiest thing to find.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

spro
Posts: 6752
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: mid atlantic

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby spro » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:30 am

Well then, since you explored that one, you understand the possibilities of that machine to be used as a milling machine. Different ways it was done. Some very light heads mounted to the carriage, Others bolted to the back of the bed and others attached to the lathe head. In each case there were limitations. It was pointed out, to me that sliding the lathe head closer to the mill platform would upset the actual drive. It is the same with fixed heads attached to lathe head and other types, you just can't get to that perfect area.
However there is the bridge design and you already have the right side mounting..but that .. forget that. The weight of the traverse slide to be dependable, would be too heavy. Perhaps we as many, many users and viewers of this Board/Site keep a look out beyond N. America and alert you if another comes up. Remember that the Maximat V10P and gosh V13 had a milling head too. It also comes back to me, during a time at auctions,.. There was a V13 with the milling head but the forklift slipped the load and the lathe section was all smashed in the front but the head appeared untouched. Anyway, stuff happens backward as I thought the milling head would have been crushed. They are out there. Good luck with your machine.

Marcel333
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby Marcel333 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:42 am

spro wrote:Well then, since you explored that one, you understand the possibilities of that machine to be used as a milling machine. Different ways it was done. Some very light heads mounted to the carriage, Others bolted to the back of the bed and others attached to the lathe head. In each case there were limitations. It was pointed out, to me that sliding the lathe head closer to the mill platform would upset the actual drive. It is the same with fixed heads attached to lathe head and other types, you just can't get to that perfect area.
However there is the bridge design and you already have the right side mounting..but that .. forget that. The weight of the traverse slide to be dependable, would be too heavy. Perhaps we as many, many users and viewers of this Board/Site keep a look out beyond N. America and alert you if another comes up. Remember that the Maximat V10P and gosh V13 had a milling head too. It also comes back to me, during a time at auctions,.. There was a V13 with the milling head but the forklift slipped the load and the lathe section was all smashed in the front but the head appeared untouched. Anyway, stuff happens backward as I thought the milling head would have been crushed. They are out there. Good luck with your machine.

Thanks very much :) I'm hoping to find one soon. I won't ever do any heavy machinig with it. Just small stuff so it'll wirk perfect for my needs.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

spro
Posts: 6752
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: mid atlantic

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby spro » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Hello Marcel333 How is it going? New leads to the proper head?

Marcel333
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby Marcel333 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 pm

spro wrote:Hello Marcel333 How is it going? New leads to the proper head?

Hi Spro. Unfortunately not. I've been thinking of getting a dedicated benchtop mill because it seems like getting the mill attachment for mine is going to be a very big story.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

spro
Posts: 6752
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: mid atlantic

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby spro » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 am

Marcel. The better option Is a separate vertical mill. I read the recent decision of a Grizzly and it is light yet has good reviews. There is something else which was a heavier version of the same design. I think it was 0603. It has a universal/swivel table and geared head also. Grizzly sold them for about two years and then they disappeared to the U.S. market. The first ones were metric. Some years later they appeared with Imperial and may still offer them. I haven't checked. Like you said, "Long story" and I don't mean to be a bore but I am getting to something here.
Many heavier machines still exist but have lost their accuracy without some refurb. Newer, lighter ones have a certain window, in which, they are improved and operations are reliable. They can never be the same machines that last 80+ years but that isn't what our timeline is.
So, and this is important, lighter used machinery may have worn out that window where they were accurate. They were supposed to be reliable while You use them and not the many before that wore them out. There is no real "vintage" to that, as it wasn't built to last beyond expected term of use.
Right now, you want a mill and have a general idea, size and condition. Go with that. Consider that the milling attachment just screwed up a fine lathe at that time and was why it was removed.

Marcel333
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby Marcel333 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 am

spro wrote:Marcel. The better option Is a separate vertical mill. I read the recent decision of a Grizzly and it is light yet has good reviews. There is something else which was a heavier version of the same design. I think it was 0603. It has a universal/swivel table and geared head also. Grizzly sold them for about two years and then they disappeared to the U.S. market. The first ones were metric. Some years later they appeared with Imperial and may still offer them. I haven't checked. Like you said, "Long story" and I don't mean to be a bore but I am getting to something here.
Many heavier machines still exist but have lost their accuracy without some refurb. Newer, lighter ones have a certain window, in which, they are improved and operations are reliable. They can never be the same machines that last 80+ years but that isn't what our timeline is.
So, and this is important, lighter used machinery may have worn out that window where they were accurate. They were supposed to be reliable while You use them and not the many before that wore them out. There is no real "vintage" to that, as it wasn't built to last beyond expected term of use.
Right now, you want a mill and have a general idea, size and condition. Go with that. Consider that the milling attachment just screwed up a fine lathe at that time and was why it was removed.

Thanks for the brilliant reply unfortunately the grizly brand is not available in South Africa. And having it shipped hear would cost as much as a new mill here. I am looking at a small benchtop mill for around 1200 U.S (equivalent) that will suit all my needs perfectly. Like you said it is not built to last like the Lathe I have but if I do get the opportunity to one day purchase the Mill Head for this lathe, whether I have a seperate mill by then, or not, I will get one just to complete the set.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

spro
Posts: 6752
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:04 pm
Location: mid atlantic

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Postby spro » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:20 pm

The last sentence was to support your decision but I totally agree about being vigilant, were the original try to slip by. :)


Return to “Lathes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests