Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Marcel333

Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Post by Marcel333 »

Hi everyone.

I've always liked working with my hands and I recently acquired an old and rather forgotten Maximat Standard Lathe, I think it might be an M3100, I'd love to get your opinions on it, and I'd like to share the process of getting her up and running again.
Looking forward to all the years of wisdom and expertise that everyone has to share.

Regards,
-Marcel
Attachments
$_20.JPG
IMG-20170525-WA0033.jpg
IMG-20170525-WA0034.jpg
IMG-20170525-WA0035.jpg
IMG-20170525-WA0036.jpg
Marcel333

Re: Newbie from South Africa (Who posted in the wrong Section first)

Post by Marcel333 »

Some more Photos. :)
Attachments
IMG-20170525-WA0037.jpg
IMG-20170526-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20170528-WA0017.jpeg
spro

Post by spro »

Welcome to the The Home Machinist board! I don't have any experience with that model but Emco is renowned by their quality. I could and probably read about it over at lathesuk site but so can you. Candid observation; Looks very well built and I really like the cross slide table. You can attach tool holders or special fixtures all over that one. It is similar to the English Myford in that many attachments made a very versatile machine. It most certainly has Ball bearings in places where others have sleeve bearings and there are different ways to clean around them.
I hope you receive more info. Congrats on your Maximat !
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Looks a lot like the early Atlas/Craftsman lathe, except that the headstock is mounted sliding on the ways instead of being a bolted block. As always, Tony at lathes.co.uk has a wealth of info. Looks like it a M-3000 or M-3100 model, did you get the vertical milling column and second motor/spindle as well?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page12.html

My first first lathe, an old Craftsman, was similar. Not terribly rigid due to the light castings and box ways, but it definitely teaches you to go slow and learn/work within the capacities of the lathe. Hard to tell exactly from the pictures, but looks like it should clean up real well. Having the table should make it real handy for doing small milling jobs if you can locate/build a column for it.
Marcel333

Post by Marcel333 »

spro wrote:Welcome to the The Home Machinist board! I don't have any experience with that model but Emco is renowned by their quality. I could and probably read about it over at lathesuk site but so can you. Candid observation; Looks very well built and I really like the cross slide table. You can attach tool holders or special fixtures all over that one. It is similar to the English Myford in that many attachments made a very versatile machine. It most certainly has Ball bearings in places where others have sleeve bearings and there are different ways to clean around them.
I hope you receive more info. Congrats on your Maximat !
Thank you for the welcome :) I did read a lot about it on lathesuk. I tried emailing Tony for some more info on it, I'm just waiting on his reply. I have started cleaning it up, being very careful with harsh chemicals. Repainting it is on the list. Just trying to figure out how I'm gonne get the old paint of that won't be to aggresive.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Marcel333

Post by Marcel333 »

choprboy wrote:Looks a lot like the early Atlas/Craftsman lathe, except that the headstock is mounted sliding on the ways instead of being a bolted block. As always, Tony at lathes.co.uk has a wealth of info. Looks like it a M-3000 or M-3100 model, did you get the vertical milling column and second motor/spindle as well?
http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page12.html

My first first lathe, an old Craftsman, was similar. Not terribly rigid due to the light castings and box ways, but it definitely teaches you to go slow and learn/work within the capacities of the lathe. Hard to tell exactly from the pictures, but looks like it should clean up real well. Having the table should make it real handy for doing small milling jobs if you can locate/build a column for it.
Thanks for the info :) I did email Tony to find out where I can get Manuals for the old machine. I wish I got the milling attachment but the person I got it from didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about it so I don't think he ever had it. I'm looking for one now but it's proving a very difficult task.

spro

Post by spro »

I didn't go to Tony's site yet but it appears to have a serious Vee way at the back, for that heavy saddle, cross slide and possibly a small milling head. There were various ways they were mounted. If mounted to the saddle, there was of course, wear if you weren't using it. There was a rail behind, so the head could be positioned at different places along the bed. That is probably what yours had.
As it stands, it is a dandy (in a good way) lathe. :)
tomjaksa

Post by tomjaksa »

Hi Marcel

Welcome to the forum......
Nice to hear from another South African newbie. That looks like a great little machine and the condition does not look too shabby either.
Hope you have a lot of fun with it. I am also busy cleaning up my lathe (look under New old weiler)
I am in Cullinan where are you from in SA?
Marcel333

Post by Marcel333 »

tomjaksa wrote:Hi Marcel

Welcome to the forum......
Nice to hear from another South African newbie. That looks like a great little machine and the condition does not look too shabby either.
Hope you have a lot of fun with it. I am also busy cleaning up my lathe (look under New old weiler)
I am in Cullinan where are you from in SA?
Hi Tom.
Will definitely check it out.
I'm not too far from you, in Pretoria North area. Close to Wonderpark.

Marcel333

Post by Marcel333 »

spro wrote:I didn't go to Tony's site yet but it appears to have a serious Vee way at the back, for that heavy saddle, cross slide and possibly a small milling head. There were various ways they were mounted. If mounted to the saddle, there was of course, wear if you weren't using it. There was a rail behind, so the head could be positioned at different places along the bed. That is probably what yours had.
As it stands, it is a dandy (in a good way) lathe. :)
Hi Spro, It does have a small millig attachment that attaches to those 4 bolt holes behind the lathe in the picture. ImageImageImage

earlgo

Post by earlgo »

choprboy wrote:Looks a lot like the early Atlas/Craftsman lathe, except that the headstock is mounted sliding on the ways instead of being a bolted block.
If you look at picture #2 and #4 one can see the bolt heads that pass thru and thread into the way clamps that hold the head in position. This is indeed very similar to the ATLAS. Yours is better because it has v-ways and not just rectangular ways.
Good find Marcel.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Marcel333

Post by Marcel333 »

earlgo wrote:
choprboy wrote:Looks a lot like the early Atlas/Craftsman lathe, except that the headstock is mounted sliding on the ways instead of being a bolted block.
If you look at picture #2 and #4 one can see the bolt heads that pass thru and thread into the way clamps that hold the head in position. This is indeed very similar to the ATLAS. Yours is better because it has v-ways and not just rectangular ways.
Good find Marcel.
--earlgo
Thanks very much, Earlgo. [emoji5]