Please,talk me out of buying this Hendey Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Please,talk me out of buying this Hendey Lathe

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello all,

Well an old timer is selling his machine shop stuff this coming weekend. included is this nice,old 1930's 16 x8' Hendey Lathe, with all the attachments.

What would something like this be worth these days??

Also I need to be talked out buying it.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tld/ ... 88571.html

Firstly I can't imagine what I would ever do with an 8' bed. Actually, I've already figured out I could mount my soon to be restored SB 9x48 on the far end, move the tailstock to the middle and still have 3 or 4' of space to work off the chuck. Hahaha. Space saver.

Iam in deep water here. Anybody throw me a life preserver?

BTW. Word is, the old timer restored the whole thing over fourty or fifty years of ownership, ground and scrapped the ways, made new parts, etc.

Can't be inspected or run prior to sale . But "it belongs in a museum" according to the salesmen.

What to do? What to do?

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
John Evans

Re: Please,talk me out of buying this Hendey Lathe

Post by John Evans »

Flat belt,plain bearing ,threaded spindle,low spindle speed all things I highly dislike in a working machine. Now as pretty as that is maybe use for decor in my living room.
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I agree with John. For my use, practical with modern/convenient features trumps style. Lovely old lathe that would be nice to have, particularly if all gussied up and hand scraped. Maybe if it is the tool room version with all the goodies, and if as good as advertised would certainly be much better than the very popular SB cone head, and could do good work in a home shop. If that nice, then nice to have, but not to have to depend on for the work I need to do. But if not loaded and truly finely tuned, just a conversation piece to collect dust and hold down the side of my living room entry way...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Very nice lathe and setup. However, consider the logistics of dismantling, moving and setting up again. That is a BIG lathe.
I tried to talk my buddy out of buying the Myford lathe that was on e-bay, but realized he was going to anyway. Is this the same plea for non-help? :lol:
--earlgo
( I was in Redmond the last two weeks in June and as I didn't have a car or your phone number, I missed the opportunity to buy you a lemonaide.)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Beautiful Lathe.
You don't need it.
It will distract you from getting your RR built and operating.
~RN
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

What is the price?

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Assuming you have the room and the time, price is all.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Not sure what the price is. They have only said they are setting out a sign in sheet on Sat morning, and will allow small groups of people to go look at intervals. I think I will call the call the guy to try to find out more details. There are some other nice items also, but no posted inventory. So all a bit of a mystery. So far, the message seems to be- "throw money on the table and take my word for it." Not exactly confidence building...

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Now you have a bunch of negative points to use for talking the price down.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

If it is in great condition, I would buy it although price would be a factor. My feeling is; historic machines should be preserved.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

earlgo wrote:Very nice lathe and setup. However, consider the logistics of dismantling, moving and setting up again. That is a BIG lathe.
I tried to talk my buddy out of buying the Myford lathe that was on e-bay, but realized he was going to anyway. Is this the same plea for non-help? :lol:
--earlgo
( I was in Redmond the last two weeks in June and as I didn't have a car or your phone number, I missed the opportunity to buy you a lemonaide.)
Earlgo, Shucks! Were about 3 miles down the road from Redmond. Next time your out this way, let me know. Be great to met up!

I think I've decided to pass on the Big Boy. For today anyway. Iam really tired of chasing problems with old lathes! Maybe a nice new PM is on the horizon.

Glenn

spro

Post by spro »

Anyone who could restore and preserve this Hendey has other things going on. I would check it out and more than the lathe.