Mini-lathes, tapered rollers, and lube

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ccfl

Mini-lathes, tapered rollers, and lube

Post by ccfl »

Does anybody here have experience with 7x lathes and the tapered spindle bearing conversion, and what to do about lube for them? Pack with wheel bearing grease, or add ball oilers to the headstock?
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
drmico60

Re: Mini-lathes, tapered rollers, and lube

Post by drmico60 »

I have done the tapered bearing conversion. I just packed the bearing with wheel bearing grease containing molybdenum disulphide. That was about 5 years ago and I have not touched them since. I also put in a 100 mm diameter flanged spindle rather than the normal 80 mm one at the same time.
More details of the bearing change are here:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/headstock-upgrade.html
Mike
ccfl

Re: Mini-lathes, tapered rollers, and lube

Post by ccfl »

Thanks for the real-world data! I like your idea for the o-ring. I have seen others make new covers to accept real lip seals but that seems kinda pointless on a headstock casting with an open bottom and no oil bath inside.

I have a spare headstock I've already converted but haven't got around to swapping. I packed with high-temp moly grease but was having second thoughts about it. Since I have two, I may add oil ports when I convert the other one and see what happens.
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain