Soft jaw collection

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Soft jaw collection

Post by John Evans »

Anybody that knows me knows my middle name is EXCESS ! If one is good a half a dozen has to be better. A couple of weeks ago I acquired a Buck Set Tru chuck and it only had a set of soft top jaws. I already had a set of rectangler
aluminum that I made several years ago and a couple of sets of steel pie jaws. Was able to score a set of aluminum pie jaws on the cheap also. I think the Buck chuck will be the dedicated soft jaw chuck .
Attachments
soft jaws 001.JPG
soft jaws 002.JPG
soft jaws 003.JPG
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Re: Soft jaw collection

Post by SteveM »

Love the idea of pie jaws, especially for holding thin parts.

You might want to consider getting hard jaws for the set-tru, as it's really redundant in a soft-jaw chuck. Then get a regular 3-jaw for the soft jaws.

Having one dedicated is nice. I have one and it's easier to swap the chuck than the jaws.

If you need more soft jaws, I have some soft jaws for sale:
https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... 5&p=376366

Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Yeah Steve: soft jaws on a Set Tru chuck is kinda like carrying coal to Newcastle !! Problem is the only set of Am Std. 1.5 bolt center top jaws I have extra have been modified with a counter bore on the ID. So I recon I need to keep my eyes open for a set on the cheap. Even if said set is a bit miss matched the Set Tru feature should correct that.
www.chaski.com
ccfl

Post by ccfl »

I have been using simple round ones. Quick and easy to make, cheap, disposable. They only have a longitudinal slot on the back, not keyed into the horizontal slot in the master jaw. Work in the inner hole for small work or the outer for big stuff.

The counterbore probably isn't even needed if you wanted to strip out even more complexity. Just use low profile capscrews.

This was a .200" thick piece of ABS with a really odd profile on the OD, the jaws were cut for a relief so that the contact is about in the middle, not at the face where any marring would be visible afterwards.
softjaws_01.jpg
softjaws_02.jpg
softjaws_03.jpg
softjaws_04.jpg
"Never trust a man who puts a witty quote in his sig line." -Mark Twain
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Now that I am a master of the art of soft jaws and one of their leading proponents, I must disagree about them being useless with a set-tru chuck. You still need them for delicate parts or parts that are just weird.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I'm with ccfl on the simple round aluminum soft jaws. They work as well as could be desired, and are easy to make from bar stock.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Forgot to add the picture.
Soft Jaws.jpg
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.