The Clausing Arrives or 10lb in 1lb bag

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

The Clausing Arrives or 10lb in 1lb bag

Post by John Evans »

Well my hauler finally got a bit of time and my new to Clausing 5914 finally made it home . With the aid of some Vaseline and a couple of shoehorns and a lot of sweat it is in the shop. Still got to figgure out where a few things are now going live !! :roll: Here are a few pictures of my personal sardine can,just add olive oil!
Attachments
Causling 002.JPG
Causling 003.JPG
Causling 005.JPG
Causling 006.JPG
Causling 008.JPG
www.chaski.com
gcarsen

Re: The Clausing Arrives or 10lb in 1lb bag

Post by gcarsen »

I have very good memories of the Clausing 5914 models!! first lathes that I was taught how to run a lathe on!! my HS shop had 4 of them if I remember right as well as 2 1300 and one 1500 model. we had to start on the 5914 and show we had some skill before we could move up to the other 2! remember turning a 2 throw crankshaft on one of these my senior year in High School!
Grant
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Congratulations! Even if it is a...C-C-C-Clausing.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Steve, you you should of gotten the shortbed model! LOL!
Grant
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I need my inhaler.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Nice! It looks to be in pretty good shape. Your shop looks like mine with all the clutter. Hope you enjoy your new lathe.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
platypus20

Post by platypus20 »

I'd kill, to have your space, compared to mine you could hold a barn dance. I have another lathe coming, but absolutely no place to put it, it's going to take some serious space management.
jack
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Maybe you could get M. C. Escher
to design a new work space for you.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
RSG

Post by RSG »

Holy smoke I thought my shop was cramped! Nice score on the lathe.....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
spro

Post by spro »

What we see as cramped really isn't. It is methodical and there is more space between machines than we see with digital perspective. I agree with others who know 1 lb. crammed into a 10 lb. bag would be a mess, if you didn't know what you were doing.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've been in John's "shop" a while back. As I recall, it was tight, but functional. I suppose it might be best to say that he's a master of highly organized chaos. ;) When I was there, he even had room for a neat little street street rod inside, but it seems that may no longer fit.

I can certainly sympathize since my previous shop was a 1 car detached garage with ~8' ceilings. And I had most of the machines I have now (except the wood machines) in that shop, and the long 20' steel rack isn't even IN my new shop (it's in an outdoor shed). Talk about maximizing every inch and utilizing vertical space, I had no choice but to master it, and made most of my own storage to maximize density. In the end, it had a "U" path down one side, across the back, and back to the front, full to the ceiling in most parts. The path was wide enough to walk down without turning sideways, well most of it was...

I have a friend like John's (in fact, they are good friends) who brought half a dozen guys, flat bed trailers, trucks, an Issuzu 18' flatbed, and a drop side dump truck with a fork lift (plus my 2500HD with a 16' trailer) to help me move to my current location. As we got started, one of the guys who knew me but had never been to my shop commented about why my friend thought they needed so much capacity. He just laughed and said "You haven't seen inside yet..." About an hour (maybe closer to 2?) later, as we were loading the last of the big stuff and had used ALL the main capacity available, that it was "like watching the clown car at the circus, s#@! just keeps coming out". But with their very much appreciated help, we got my entire shop moved and setup in time for me to take them all to lunch. Well over twice the space, life is much better now, but I have to fight the urge or it will eventually be the same way, though I now have high ceilings. :D
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well got this thing to make a few chips in the last few days. Bought a AXA post set for it from "All Industrial Tools' in CA who I recomen decent quality and reasonable at $123 shipped for a wedge style. Idea here is if I sell the SB heavy 10 I will put that post on it and put my Multifix on the Clausing . Going to take some getting use to having a cross slide that the calibration is for diameter rather than radius. Bet that difference gets me into trouble on the other lathes !! :oops: Really like having the clutch and brake ! :D
www.chaski.com