618 H.P.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wlw-19958

Re: 618 H.P.

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
SteveM wrote:
Glenn Brooks wrote:Me to. but, it's a great lead in! Don't we all dream of 618 HP lathes?
Cars, yes, lathes, no.

Steve
Well, you haven't fully circum to the "Home Machinist" disease.
There is then, hope for you! In my case, it is critical and there
is no hope for me.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

wlw-19958 wrote: Well, you haven't fully circum to the "Home Machinist" disease.
There is then, hope for you! In my case, it is critical and there
is no hope for me.
I also suffer from old car disease and have the associated comorbidities with having both.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

I swear most of us came to machining from the neat automobiles.
pt bridgeport

Post by pt bridgeport »

IIRC, the Atlas catalogues from the late '70's listed a 1/3 hp capacitor start motor, presumably for the the 618. I powered my 618 with a 1/2 hp motor, because it was the only one I had with capacitor start.

My 9" lathe has a two speed capacitor start washing machine motor, 1/3hp @ 1750 rpm and 1/4hp @ 1140 rpm. With the hobby/home maintenance work I do, I could swap these motors and see no difference in performance.

Tom
spro

Post by spro »

I understand what you are saying. Two speed motors....washing machines. It was dependent with the timers. The higher hp got it up to speed with the load and then the lower speed clicked in. Pretty slick. There were plenty leads off the motor to switch it either rpm but get the mass moving and switch to lower rpm for larger diameter but no. This is good for threading.