M4x0.7 insert screws

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

M4x0.7 insert screws

Post by earlgo »

Is there a good inexpensive source for these?
Amazon was inexpensive but the screws shipped from somewhere in China in the next few weeks, maybe.
MSC was $2.95 each and Fastenal was $4.95 each.
I couldn't find them on McMaster-Carr.
Maybe I'll have to fire up the old Atlas. 0.7MM pitch should be a piece of cake with a change gear lathe :shock:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
stephenc

Re: M4x0.7 insert screws

Post by stephenc »

The last time I ordered some inserts from AR Warner I went ahead and got new screws for all of my tool holders .
They had every screw I needed and charged me something like $ 0.29 each .

The only downside to AR Warner might be the shipping I think they might have a minimum shipping charge of around $11
You'd have to call or check the website to find out for sure
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Ebay,
eBay item number:

There is also Shars or Zoro Tools, all on Ebay

Nyle
spro

Post by spro »

The meaning of "insert screws" . I only knew Helicoils.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

OK thanks guys.
A R Warner apparently only carries M2 screws for their kits and the lady I called was not too helpful.
Shars does have them, I forgot to look.
MSC got the order.

Insert screws are different than screws for inserts. My bad.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Made my own dang screw from O-1,and it only cost me several hours and the use of several machine tools. BUT there was no shipping charge.
Hex head insert screw.jpg
Ugly, ain't it.
--earlgo
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

As an alternative one can go to the local ACE, buy some M4x0.7 x 10MM flat head screws and change the head angle to fit the inserts. A simple lathe fixture and a sharp tool and you are in business. Screw cost $0.33 each instead of $5.30 at MSC + Shipping and tax.
Fake insert screws.jpg
SHCS are typically grade 8 so they should be plenty strong just to hold the insert in the pocket. Local ACE sells Hillman Fasteners.
--earlgo
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

earlgo wrote:Local ACE sells Hillman Fasteners
Hillman seems to have cornered the market for "by the piece" fasteners and miscellaneous 'hardware.

I miss the quality of the old bolts, screws, nuts and nails, but I do have to acknowledge that Hillman does supply a very broad array of "things."
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I got some from ebay, mailed from China, they came quick enough. I think the bag of 10 was a couple of bucks with postage.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The rest of the story, to paraphrase Paul Harvey, is that I got some very slightly used 80°diamond shaped inserts and had no holder for them.
I decided to make an insert holder by merely carving out a larger than necessary recess in a chunk of steel and after screwing the insert to it, filled in the remaining cavity with JBWeld. The JBWeld was heavily loaded with alcohol soaked swarf from the bandsaw to give it even more strength.
Here is the result and the tools have worked really well. The insert holders have an odd shape but that is just to fit my odd tool block.
INSERT HOLDERS.JPG
I can imagine this technique of bedding inserts would work on other shapes, too.
--earlgo
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I have the intent to do something similar for a special tool I'm making; I stopped while waiting for the [THREAD RELEVANT!] 4mm insert screws.
I noticed that a coated insert won't stick to braze, so my intent is to screw down the insert and braze around it, figuring it won't stick but will encase 3 sides of the insert.
I'll let you know how it goes when I get a round toit.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

liveaboard wrote:I have the intent to do something similar for a special tool I'm making; I stopped while waiting for the [THREAD RELEVANT!] 4mm insert screws.
I noticed that a coated insert won't stick to braze, so my intent is to screw down the insert and braze around it, figuring it won't stick but will encase 3 sides of the insert.
I'll let you know how it goes when I get a round toit.
Brass is a good idea, Perhaps you could weld around them... I have a bunch (30 lbs) of cutters that were used on a machine for milling pipe ends for automatic welding.. the corners of the cutters were not used, just the sides... I guess I could make a holder for those.. I brought them home over 10 years ago, knowing some day I would find a use for them.