Lathe DRO recommendation

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

WesHowe

Re: Lathe DRO recommendation

Post by WesHowe »

Like Pete said, you probably want to mount the scale a bit off the casting. You typically only need 3 points of support, the scale ends and the reader head (which probably uses two mounting screws, but not that far apart).

I mounted one scale using couple 1" pieces of 1/4" x 1-1/2" aluminum flat stock. I held each of those in place with one countersunk #8 cap screw, and a through hole for the M5 cap screw that mounted the scale end plate. You need a sturdy, but not especially strong mount for your scales. They are almost frictionless in motion, but you do want a level tracking to avoid overstressing the scale and head.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I see a lot of people like the DRO Pro line. I have one on my Bridgeport and enjoy it greatly now for five years.

One thing not mentioned here is the service. When I did not understand something that was happening on my display and gave them a call. I believe they are in California. Great service on the phone and they quickly explained what I was seeing.

More importantly, when I smashed the Z axis scale with a lawnmower (Funny Story actually) I assumed that I would be buying a new system. Not so, they quickly mailed me a replacement scale at a reasonable price. Simple matter of unscrewing and unplugging the original. I was up and running within three days of smashing mine.

They fully support their product with spare parts and information on its use. They are not simply a store front for a cheap import package.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
RSG

Post by RSG »

Totally agree on the service side of things re: DROPROs as per Pipescs....there is something to be said about service, years after the purchase!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If you want to see a way to mount one of the DROPRO systems on a SB Heavy Ten, take a look on their www site.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Anyone ever played with these?

http://www.star-techno.com
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

On the recommendation of a friend who had already installed a Shooting-Star DRO on his lathe and mill I purchased and installed a 2-axis DRO on my 1940 9-inch South Bend lathe. I have been very happy with it. About 4 years ago the DC transformer died and I called Shooting-Star to ask about buying a new one. No, I was told, send it back along with the display unit so that it can be checked. So I did, and very promptly a new display unit and DC transformer were returned - No Charge!
Excellent product and excellent service.
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

I forgot to mention that it was purchased and installed in 2006.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Thanks Andy.
WJH

Post by WJH »

I like the Chinese glass scales very much, just don’t drop them!
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

I have Korean made Jenix units on my manual machines. http://www.digitalreadoutsystem.com/Jenix/jenix_dro.htm . I have three of them and just ordered another for my Monarch 10EE. As much as I wanted a Newall the cheapest price I could get was $1700, the Jenix was $530.

They use glass scales. Lathe one is .00005 reading on the cross slide. The case is cast aluminum, not plastic. The cables are steel armored with screw on military type connections. They come with covers and mounting kits for most standard set ups. Nice aluminum or thick steel mounts, no flimsy junk. I custom made my mounts. All the advanced functions you would expect. Also a six year warranty. I have beat mine to death and they still work perfect and have never given me any issues at all. Nice to buy them from a dealer local here in CA that can set you up with a system tailored to you.

Here is the 4 axis system I put on my Lagun 5 years ago. Still going strong. And always very accurate and repeatable. If you have the money I would say Newall, but the Jenix have never let me down. Heard some disturbing stuff about DRO Pros head units and parts being being lowest cost stuff they can source at the time. The scales are convenient though I hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCesEzS4jbI
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Are glass and magnetic scales interchangeable?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

yes and no...but generally do not assume so
Too many things going on to bother listing them.