Bed protector.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toglhot

Bed protector.

Post by toglhot »

This is a bed protector I made up a while back, keeps the bed pretty clean. The protector blind is made of some oil impregnated canvas which seems pretty well impervious to everything so far. It clips over two bolts on the carriage, the other end contains the roller made of PVC pipe with bearings sunk in and secured to the angle bracket by a couple of 1/4" bolts. a cable is wound around the PVC tube and routed via two aluminium pulleys to a largish weight at the rear of the lathe which slides up and down in a PVC tube. Wind the carriage back and the canvas follows the carriage. Wind the carriage forward and the weight drops in the tube turning the blind tube and winding in the canvas.

Simple but effective!
Attachments
P_20171125_112545[2].jpg
P_20171125_112631[1].jpg
P_20171125_112640.jpg
P_20171125_112833.jpg
P_20171125_112929.jpg
Harold_V

Re: Bed protector.

Post by Harold_V »

Nice!
My Sag 12 Graziano came with way covers (steel). They have kept the ways in pristine condition, so your device should prove to be quite desirable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I like it! Great idea and application.
Thanks for sharing.
~RN
pete

Post by pete »

I really like that as well. Simple and easy to do.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I tried something like that with glass reinforced Teflon sheet (think heavy duty baking sheet) and bits from a roller blind but when the dirty side rolls up it transferred chips and dirt to the clean side, I tried to to come up with a double system with an extra roller in the gap where the dirty sides never touch the clean sides but it was getting complex so went with a concertina style cover ;-)

- Nick
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Maybe you could put a brush over the roller to wipe the chips?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...