5C Collet Chuck

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

5C Collet Chuck

Post by AllenH59 »

My 16x48 Lathe I imported from India came with a 6" 3 jaw and an 8"4 jaw, I could and should have bought more when I bought the lathe, I was just cheap and saw no need for anything larger or smaller. I bought a 12" 4 jaw from grizzly, which is not near the chuck that the 8" 4 jaw that came from india. Anyway, my experience was that centering big stuff was a lot easier than small stuff, so when I saw the 5C collet chuck from china for about $160 ($ US, I am in Canada), I thought I would try it. My lath has a 63mm spindle od with 8 tpi. I had a scrap of 3.5" shaft and some 1" plate, so I made a backing plate. I had one collet to try it out with, and I am pleased to sat it worked perfectly. I do not know how much I will use it, but better to have and not need than to need and not have.
5C Collet chuck.jpg
RSG

Re: 5C Collet Chuck

Post by RSG »

Congrats! I'll bet you'll find you use it more often than you think. Mine gets used all the time. I made a collet stop system for mine which made it even more useful.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Is the lathe made in India, or comes from China? I haven't heard of any India made machine tools. The only thing I know about India is; they are the worlds largest manufacturer of farm tractors; (Mahindra).
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

guess you have never heard of Kirloskar...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Who are they?
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

hi-tech made by Chaitanya Machine tools in Rajkot, which is in the Punjab, in the west north of Mumbai. 15 years ago I bought a 16x48 lathe, with the 2 chucks mentioned above and a cooling system and a taper attachment for $2900 US. Shipping to Canada was another $350
It is very much like the lathe, but a bit longer, and is MT5 in the spindle and MT3 in the tailstock.
http://www.hitechlathe.com/trainer_100_details.php

I knew nothing about lathes at the time, I just wanted one so I bought it. It will do pretty good work, although the tailstock requires a bit of adjustment in some parts of the bed.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

AllenH59 wrote:hi-tech made by Chaitanya Machine tools in Rajkot, which is in the Punjab, in the west north of Mumbai. 15 years ago I bought a 16x48 lathe, with the 2 chucks mentioned above and a cooling system and a taper attachment for $2900 US. Shipping to Canada was another $350
It is very much like the lathe, but a bit longer, and is MT5 in the spindle and MT3 in the tailstock.
http://www.hitechlathe.com/trainer_100_details.php

I knew nothing about lathes at the time, I just wanted one so I bought it. It will do pretty good work, although the tailstock requires a bit of adjustment in some parts of the bed.
I never heard of that manufacturer, but it looks like a solid well made machine. They look like a better alternative over Chinese built and the price sounds pretty good.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I had looked at their site, and saw that they made big lathes, and were a serious factory, and I wanted a lathe that would take a long piece. My lathe was the smallest one they sold, and yes, the price was right. At that time imports cost as much or more than now, I did a fair amount of shopping before I bought this one. A chinese 16x48 at the time time was in the range of $10,000, and an eastern european was in the range of $25,000, western europe lathes were far out of my price range. Soon after I got it, I did some damage to the gear box for the leadscrew, I called them to order parts, and said it was my own fault, and I would be happy to pay for them, they sent me a complete set of gears and shafts for the box, free, the line on the invoice said "when you have one of our lathes, you are part of our family." Not that I would order another as I have no need, but they did treat me very well.
spro

Post by spro »

That is superb support. Getting back to your 5C collet chuck, that was fine work!
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

Thanks... I was very pleased.. I have a cheap set of collets coming. Hopefully they are as accurate as they say they are...
spro

Post by spro »

Did your collets arrive? Just checking on your progress and an entirely new lathe to me.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

I tracked them, and they were a while clearing customs, they are 500 miles away and coming