In praise of my Tangential Tool Holder....

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

In praise of my Tangential Tool Holder....

Post by AllenH59 »

I got a bunch of Monel, which had been threaded then milled to go through a slot. This was 1" round, and it was milled to 5/8"". I tried enough of my carbide cutters to prove that would not work, then I put my Diamond Tool Holder in, and sharpened up a Mo-Max tool bit, and it cut it without a problem. I could run finishing cuts at about 100 sfm, and the tool did not dull.. From this I learned how to machine Monel, and I have a fair amount of it, and I got a 15" long 9/16" piece for the day I need it..
stephenc

Re: In praise of my Tangential Tool Holder....

Post by stephenc »

I have a couple questions

The monel ... it's a copper nickel alloy right ?

Next is one that has me confused a bit . I can understand how some materials won't cut properly with carbide if you aren't using the correct inserts or have your tool geometry ground absolutely perfect with perfect feeds and speeds .

What does have me confused is how using a tangential tool holder would make the material cut with hss over a regular tool holder ... unless it's just the easier to grind tools with the tangential holder .
I've seen the holders .... but never had any real interest because I've had pretty good luck with grinding cutting tools for the most part .
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I think in some alloys the issue may be that if you run fast enough for carbide you need ceramic and that slowing down to feeds and speeds for HSS will work for some of those problem alloys.
I always keep some HSS blanks in the drawer, I find tangential holders somewhat limiting as little of what I do is plain turning and access to cut to left and right 90 degree shoulders is poor with most tangential designs.

- Nick
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

it is just easier to grind. there is nothing magic about a tangential holder. It does make a small tool a bit stiffer as you use it end on. I have bought Crobalt and Tantung toolbits for it. They are very good. They say that in many materials they will cut twice the depth of carbide, at 30% less sfpm.