Grizzly knurling tool

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Grizzly knurling tool

Post by whateg0 »

Awhile back, I was in Springfield, MO and figured while I was there, I'd stop in at Grizzly and see what I needed to buy. Saw the knurling tool on display and thought, surely that would be better than the one that comes with all of the QCTP kits. So, I bought it. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Floatin ... Tool/H7571

I have experienced the common deflection of the arms and am planning to make a new holder to address that. But, while looking at the knurling wheels the other night, I noticed that on one of them, the "teeth" are flattened. I'm sure it wasn't always like that, which leads me to believe these things aren't very hard. The other wheel doesn't appear to have been hurt, so maybe it was just a bad example, but it was a little irritating. I'll use the wheels from my Phase II tool holder instead, though it is a different pitch, and I'll move on. I'm sure it would have been fine in aluminum, but apparently not for steel. Hopefully the ones that Phase II sells in their kit are better.

FWIW, all I've used it on is aluminum, HRS that had been turned down, 12L14, and unhardened O-1.
flattened.jpg
sharp.jpg
Dave
John Hasler

Re: Grizzly knurling tool

Post by John Hasler »

Have you tested it with a file to see if it is really hardened?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Took a file to the wheel that is flattened, and it is hard, but not very. The file does cut it.
kroll

Post by kroll »

Will the wheels interchange,if you like the griz holder but not the one with the set maybe you can swap the wheels.
I'm a believer that knurling tools is one area that a person cannot try to go cheap on,I've tried :(
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

The pins are pressed in. I'm sure that they could be pressed out, too, but I'm now going to just make a new tool using the knurling wheels from my Phase II tool post set. That bump knurler never gets used, and the wheels in it are easily removed. The arms in the Grizzly tool don't stay parallel, so the angle of the knurls is off, not that it really matters. I've thought about "fixing" the Grizzly tool, but I think I'm better off just starting over. I do like the feel of the Grizzly wheels' pitch better than that of the Phase II wheels, but maybe I'll buy some more someday. I never have to knurl to a drawing, just TLAR design.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

Will you be making a typical bump knurl, a scissors type, or a cut knurl similar to the one in this thread?
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com ... hp?t=27010
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »