Today's Score

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Today's Score

Post by John Evans »

Well I guess it is better to be lucky than good!! :lol: Answered a Craigslist add today for a L 00 chuck back plate,in picture with a ruler looked to be a 6" one. Well lucky me it was for a set true style chuck ! I have a 6" Buck set true on a D1-4 back plate but was kinda wanting to put it on my 5914 Clausing . New those plates are a bit pricey for this cheap skate and L 00 a bit hard to fine anyway. Got home and sure enough the chuck mounting holes lined up ,but the register for the set true screws was a bit to large. Reduced that diameter .025 or so and for good measure a light skim cut on the mounting surface . So now can used that chuck on 2 different lathes if needed. Best part $25 for the plate.
www.chaski.com
neanderman

Re: Today's Score

Post by neanderman »

So jealous! My Dual Drive is L-00 and plates (and chucks...) are hard to find (or expensive!)

I have two 3-jaw chucks, but haven't found a 4-jaw, independent yet.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

Your Dual Drive can handle a 3-jaw, independent. These were made back in the day. They have a scroll like a self centering chuck and jaws which adjust like a 4-jaw. If you find one smaller than 9 1/2" , it will be okay on your spindle.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks, spro. I wasn't aware of such a beast.

One would think that 'vintage' American-made things like this would be coming out of the woodwork, but that hasn't been my experience.

I've had very good luck with a few things, but it's definitely hit or miss.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

I hope John doesn't mind this hijack. He is into everything and may have the best answer. So I do have a D.E. Whitton (one T is crossed out) 9 1/4" chuck. New London Conn -patent allowed, chuck. It is heavy. I weighed it for you. It is 42 lbs without the backplate . I have not seen this size on the net. It is heavy because of scroll body and the independent jaws which adjust like a 4-jaw. The body is 3 1/4" thick. It is a great chuck for a larger lathe. The center hole of the body is 2 5/8".
spro

Post by spro »

We think of an Adjust True type perfect for a 3 jaw chuck. It is. There was a reason for a 3-jaw which gripped irregular housings and could recapture the same basic alignment by using the scroll.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

spro wrote:There was a reason for a 3-jaw which gripped irregular housings and could recapture the same basic alignment by using the scroll.
Seems like you could get pretty much the same result by making adjustable jaws for an ordinary 3-jaw.