Collet Closer todays project

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Collet Closer todays project

Post by John Evans »

I've found the hand wheel collet closer to be very handy on my SB heavy 10 I thought I would do the same to the 5914 Clausing,because I think the SB is going to be looking for a new home. Really don't need 2 lathes with taper attachments and the Clausing is a much more capable machine. Had a suitable piece of DOM mild steel in my material pile so did the internal thread the other day.[Really like my Top Notch threading inserts]
Was going to make the hand wheel-thrust block etc ,but decided to call a guy I know that has LOTS of tooling. He had a closer but the tube was to short ,no prob as I had already had that covered.I had already sourced the hadr to find spindle adapter but he also had one so got that also . Getting lazy but getting the hand wheel parts saved lots of time not re-inventing the wheel so to say. Need to get a spindle protector/sleeve extractor or I have a idea that I can just use a dog driver plate that I have with a small mod.
Attachments
C Closer 001.JPG
C Closer 002.JPG
C Closer 003.JPG
www.chaski.com
wlw-19958

Re: Collet Closer todays project

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

You're looking good! The dog driving plate should
suffice for a spindle protector. In fact, I have used
my collet set-up with a dog driver and machined a
60° point on some stock held in the collet to get a
true running live center and using the dog driver
plate to drive a piece held between that center
and one in the tailstock.

Good luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
BadDog

Re: Collet Closer todays project

Post by BadDog »

I'll have to look around to see if I can find it, but I should have a banged up old L00 chuck adapter I acquired back when I had my Rockwell 11" lathe. I had ideas of cleaning up the taper when/if I ever needed the adapter, but it never came up, and I no longer have the lathe. I know I saw it not too long ago, and I never throw such stuff out. Banged up or not, it would work fine cut down to form a spindle taper guard. If you haven't already assaulted your driver and are interested in my adapter, PM me and I'll try to find it and arrange a hand off.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Evans

Re: Collet Closer todays project Part 2

Post by John Evans »

OK today I modified my dog driver plate to do double duty as a thread/spindle protector and collet sleeve remover.MT 4-1/2 sleeves are VERY thin at the small end so trying to use a drift to knock them out from the back side will not work and likely damage them. SB H -10 sleeve is much thicker there and a soft drift works OK. Basically all I did was make a .250 deep X 2.5 counter bore in the center of the dog plate and insert a heavy washer and pin it in there. Now when I loosen the spindle chuck nut it automatically jacks the collet sleeve out .
Attachments
driver 001.JPG
driver 002.JPG
www.chaski.com