Delta 11" Metal Lathe Parts

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kroll

Delta 11" Metal Lathe Parts

Post by kroll »

Good morning members,fairly new here which this may be my first post.Anyway the other day I could not say no to a Delta 11" lathe M#25-100 1964 which on the outside it just look normal but on the inside it was not.At one time I had a atlas but just was not HD so I was having withdrawssince selling it which lead to me buying this lathe regardless of its problems.Anyway guys there are two brass or bronze gears inside the QCGB that is just about toast.P#257,259 which are the left/right shifter gear 26 teeth.I was wondering if anyone may be parting out one of these lathes or if you may know of a source or just have some information on these very HD lathes that you could share?Keeping my fingers cross for some luck---kroll
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
ALCOSTEAM

Re: Delta 11" Metal Lathe Parts

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

About 10 years ago I rebuilt a Rockwell 11" lathe. There are 3 gears in the Rockwell lathes that are basically considered sacrificial, the two tumbler gears and the carriage clutch gear or Rockwell # MCL166. Of course there has not been factory made replacements for 30 plus years. Since I needed them I figured others would also so I set up and made quite a few of each. Last I looked I think I had a few of each but they might need finished out.

PM me if you are interested.

Here is a picture of gears I sold to a fellow several years ago, the old gear is the better one that came out of the Rockwell lathe I rebuilt.
Attachments
rockwell gears.jpg
kroll

Post by kroll »

Dang,those look perfect,you are very good sir.Even has the oil channel,PM sent
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

ALCOSTEAM wrote: There are 3 gears in the Rockwell lathes that are basically considered sacrificial...
...there has not been factory made replacements for 30 plus years.
Those two statements in combination are not what anyone wants to hear.

Nice to see you picking up where Rockwell left off.

Steve
kroll

Post by kroll »

And lucky for me,I be dead in the water waiting on heart transplant,well gear transplant
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

SteveM wrote:
ALCOSTEAM wrote: There are 3 gears in the Rockwell lathes that are basically considered sacrificial...
...there has not been factory made replacements for 30 plus years.
Those two statements in combination are not what anyone wants to hear.

Nice to see you picking up where Rockwell left off.

Steve
One fellow that has bought two sets of gears from me ordered his Rockwells new in the 1960's told me with daily use he had to buy replacement gears in the mid 80's and he was able to buy factory replacements so he got about 20 years of use. The guy owned some type of lab or lab supply place and the only thing the lathes had ever turned was plastic. I am not sure how that compares to the typical lathe owner/user and the life they have gotten out of their "3" gears.

has there ever been any idea how many 11" Rockwell and Delta lathes were built.
kroll

Post by kroll »

Dang there has to be heck of a lot of them out there from when they were first made with those gears till last one.For me at my age and going back with these gears,maybe couple more owners---LOL not that I'm old but just look like it.
spro

Post by spro »

Mine is a 1971 model 25-117 (Special). The serial # is 151-6604. The 1960's parts lists are for prior to # 138-9101 . I think the prefix denotes a different style of cabinet base , attachment package and when the vari drive was lever controlled. So there were thousands of them if the numbers started from 0001.