Does anyone recognize this lathe?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

https://i.redd.it/gtzh3s77zh801.jpg
GlennW

Re: Does anyone recognize this lathe?

Post by GlennW »

I like the water pump pulley for the carriage handwheel!

Not sure if it is Chevrolet or Ford :D

It resembles a 1980's generic Taiwanese bench lathe, but most had step pulleys and a threaded spindle.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Looks like it may have been oiled once in its life.

Pulley (hand wheel) could be Buick! :twisted:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

:) This goes back to what this gear head is. The bed base says it is later. It was worked and put away dirty for a long time.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I usually refrain from judging, but one has to have no self respect to work day in and day out in filth and not take 10 minutes to tidy up.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Stand it on the tailstock and make milkshakes with it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Margarita's!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I've not seen the machine: the photo is all I know about it. I'm asking on behalf of a guy on another forum who has an opportunity to buy it for pretty much whatever he thinks it's worth. He says the chuck is 6" and he thinks the bed is 28". The owner died suddenly and his widow wants it gone.

Dirt is ok as long as it is *greasy* dirt: that cleans up. However it's in a shipping-container shop in Florida so serious corrosion is a real possibility. Hopefully he oiled it a lot and just never wiped it down.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Just pay scrap price and then if it cleans up, renegotiate a decent price with the widow. Neither of you want to be taken advantage of.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Judging by the appearance of the exposed metal surfaces, I'd avoid that machine unless I had no other options. It displays extensive rusting and appears to have never been oiled, let alone wiped.

Keep in mind--what one pays for in machine tools is precision. If it has been lost due to neglect, the machine will not serve well and can be the source of endless aggravation. There's a huge difference between making chips and making functional parts.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm cheap by nature when it comes to non-essentials, which basically includes machine tools along with anything else to support my hobbies. If it's not making me money, I don't want to tie much up so that it can pay off in enjoyment of one form or another. That said, I completely agree with Harold. I wouldn't open my garage door to let someone deliver that to me for free, well maybe unless I needed non-wear/precision parts to fix a good one. Based on the pic, even for free, my opinion is that lathe will take way more to get into acceptable rough service (much less real precision) than it could possibly pay off in the long run.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

How about using it for wood?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.