Does anyone recognize this lathe?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

joe36

Re: Does anyone recognize this lathe?

Post by joe36 »

I know I am new to this forum but before I would say it ain’t worth a plugged nickel. I would do something crazy like check the run out in the bearings, put a straight edge on the ways, check the gearing, clutch and shift forks, take a look at the lead screws, check back lash. Then decide if it is worth bringing home. It is amazing what a couple of hours of scraping and lapping along with surface grinding the gib bronze back to flat can do. When people say there lath is totally worn out because they can not hold 1 or 2 thousands but have never leveled it with a proper level? A Stanley carpenters level, is not a proper level.

If anyone knows of equipment that has not been properly evaluated, is comparative and within 100 miles that no wants please let be know. I will bring the straight edge, mikes and indicators and probably be happy to take it off your hands for the cost of moving.

My mill was one of those. It was in a factory where the machined would only use the newest/ best. They all protested that they would not have that thing in there garage. I took it home, invested 3 hours. It quickly replacer my Bridgeport vertical and Cincinnati horizontal. I now would not take 3 grand for it.

Joe
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

joe36 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 pm I would do something crazy like check the run out in the bearings, put a straight edge on the ways, check the gearing, clutch and shift forks, take a look at the lead screws, check back lash. Then decide if it is worth bringing home.
That's basically what I suggested he do.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

GlennW wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 am I've heard about someone making two left or two right parts instead of a left and a right... :oops:
I'm crazy dyslexic; I used to make wrong 'handed' items 50% of the time [at best].

Now I've learned to compensate, and check several times, make notes, drawings, marks, whatever.
Things are coming out correct much more often now; maybe 60%.

Life is so great now.

Regarding the OP; a good accurate lathe is expensive. There are customers who can't afford one like that, and will buy a machine they can pay for, despite the limitations.
I am such a one; my lathe is probably 50 years old and not at all pretty. It's been used, abused, and neglected. But it was what I could pay for so it's what I got.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:00 pmI'm crazy dyslexic;
Isn't it fun transposing numbers on written dimensions? :(
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

What the Rag and Bone man would give a kid for it - Tuppence and a Balloon!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Many a job had to be done twice; addresses and phone numbers are fun too.
But then I found a trick; I was 40 years old by then and it's hard to believe it took so long to figure it out.
If I speak the numbers / letters out loud, I can transcribe without error. imagining the word in my head don't do it, the audio has to exit my mouth and come back in at my ears.
Obviously, this is less embarrassing in a 1 man shop.
I'd be interested to know if this works for anyone else.
Before computers and spell checking, I was too embarrassed to write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Here's one of my favorites...

I needed some rubber gaskets made and I always send CAD drawings of the parts to the gasket maker.

This time I was in a hurry and figured "what could possibly go wrong" as it was a simple disc, so I just emailed the ID, OD, and thickness.

Apparently, I transposed a couple of numbers as what I needed is on the left, and what I got is on the right. :shock:
DSC00545.JPG
I forget how many I had ordered, but when the UPS driver walked in carrying a box like it weighed fifty pounds I was a bit curious.

About $250.00 worth of scrap...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!