Me and my Heavy Ten

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

alco2350

Re: with a Heavy Ten

Post by alco2350 »

Get the book and rebuild kit off of eBay. I got one for my 13 some years back and it was excellent.

Britt

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Clean it up a bit,lube up and learn how to use it before taking it apart. While using it you will discover any areas that need attention. Remember PRETTY does not make it work one bit better !!
www.chaski.com
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

Looks like an oldie but goodie. Once you get it off the wall and down on the ground you should be able to try her out!:)

Plus 1 for the "Clean it up a bit,lube up and learn how to use it before taking it apart".

Lots of disassembled lathes for sale, don't need another...

John
alco2350

Post by alco2350 »

My 1969 SB-13 had an unknown previous life before I bought it. It was purchased at auction after having sat for a number of years, just to be moved and stored for another two. I picked it up off of CL for a decent price and brought it home.

I was advised by a machinist in the area that I may want to look things over really well before putting her into service. The apron reservoir was full of swarf with no oil. The power feed clutches were worn and wouldn't hold. All of the felts in the apron crumbled. Same for the felts in the head. The cone pulley was frozen to the spindle due to someone using grease instead of oil for lubrication. The quick change gearbox was gunked up with plugged oil passages.

The lathe looked great. The ways were perfect, the paint was original. It was missing nothing. I would have destroyed it by using it. I'm just saying, take a good look internally before you start trying to make chips. Buy the book, buy the replacement felts - it's only 120 bucks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-Lat ... OSwRUhY~-d~

It was money well spent, and then you're not stuck with a pile of parts that you can't figure out how to reassemble.

Britt
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

Looks like an oldie but a goodie. An SBL Heavy Ten (10L, L is for large
spindle hole). That makes it capable of using 5C collets. This is an Older
model with single tumbler gearbox.

If you don't already have these manuals, you should get copies of How
To Run A Lathe
by SBL and the CE3458 Parts Manual. Also, you might
find SBL's Form 1178 Commercially Available Hardware Items useful.
There is also Lubrication Chart 6503.

Check over the lathe and make sure you have the correct oils and grease
for it. I've had several SBL's over the years and they are a good lathe to
learn on.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
Patio

Post by Patio »

Welcome to the board Douglas.
I too started with a SB 10L, best thing that happened to me. I also think you should give it a good cleaning, and once over, and then use it for a bit. When you get it all oiled and ready to go, let it run for awhile without any load and see if the spindle bearings get warm or not. Do not take the spindle apart, unless you know exactly what you are dong.
I am glad I learned on a belt drive machine, I am sure it saved me lots of money when I crashed the machine.
There is a Recource Library here that has a ton of information, that will be most beneficial to you. Have a look.
https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewforum.php?f=44
Good luck!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Here are the rebuild kits.

Steve Brooks has done an excellent job of writing rebuild manuals for South Bend lathes and Bridgeport mills. His books are based on an actual rebuild of a machine, so you will know he did it and you will see how it all goes together.

Here's the manual with all the felts and gaskets you will need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-Lat ... 0588106078
Here he adds in all the lubes you will need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/South-Bend-Lat ... 2491107689

You could get all the lubes yourself, but with the kit, you don't need to wonder what you need.

Your single-lever gearbox has the same ratios as most South Bend double-lever gearboxes, so don't think you have been short-changed. Some people think that the single-lever gearbox is more rugged.

Check it out, clean it up, lube it and run it. Let us know how it all goes.

You should add your location in your profile. There could be someone local that might be able to give you a hand.

Steve
Douglas1968

Me and my Heavy Ten

Post by Douglas1968 »

Hey guys,
Just brought her home for $900.00 and hoping you feel I did alright. I have very little experience with lathes but mechanically incline.
The only problem she seems to be having is leather belt keeps falling off. Previous owner says he installed the belt incorrectly, I’m hoping it’s not an alignment issue.
So far I have removed and disassembled the tail stock and also attempted to research the serial number and was convinced I had a model made between 1940 and 45 but then a came across a brass plate on the rear end that says differently. Any novelists around have a better idea?
I intend to completely overhaul what I have and hope to find parts that are missing or warn along with learning all that I can about lathe work.
I hope to have your guidance and to make a few lathe buddies along the way.
Thanks, Doug.
SteveM

Re: Me and my Heavy Ten

Post by SteveM »

Welcome to the forum.

First thing you should do is post your location. You can set it in your profile so it's on all your posts and guys like me won't keep asking you. There could be a forum member next door who is willing to help.

Second - post some pictures so we know what you have. Also, let us know the serial number stamped on the right front way of the bed (the one stamped on the rear is the bed number).

Third - get the rebuild manual written by Steve Brooks on ebay - it will tell you everything you need to know about taking one apart and putting it back together. If you think it will need a rebuild, buy the rebuild kit / manual combination. The book will give you greater insight into what all the bits and pieces are and what they do. It is very well written and photographed. Steve did an actual rebuild, so you know what he says is the truth.

While I would be hesitant to send a novice to the wolves over at practicalmachnist.com, they have a South Bend forum and there's probably more accumulated South Bend knowledge concentrated in that forum than probably anywhere on the planet - including at least one guy who actually worked for South Bend.

Steve
Douglas1968

Post by Douglas1968 »

Wow, you guys are awesome! I wasn’t expecting you guys to be this helpful. I’m new to forums and apologize for looking incompetent. As you can see I already posted a whole new intro of myself, thinking my language might have been a little off the wall caused this one to get pulled but didn’t discover until it was too late. I hope I can pull my second intro.
Douglas1968

Post by Douglas1968 »

Thanks Steve. Will do.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Oh, and unless it's trashed or stripped, $900 is a pretty good price for a heavy 10.

Steve