Delta 11" Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kroll

Delta 11" Lathe

Post by kroll »

Guys been working on my lathe which I have found tons of issues.But I am making progress,have bushing order and trying to make a decision on the feed screw and the nut for the apron.Anyway I started to kinda put few things back together on the apron and the head stock but I had to come to a stop on the head stock.Well when I first got the lathe home I cut off the belts and just toss them to save till later when I need to pick up some new ones.That day came yesterday,but when I pick them up to get the numbers off them which they were not there.Dang these belts look original to the lathe,even the outside of the belts is wore out.So I was wondering if anyone know what size belts,and since its such a pain to change out belts what would be a good brand to go with.I know I could take the old ones down and ask to measure but these are in very bad shape and its something that done want ones best guess.Thanks guys
John Evans

Re: Delta 11" Lathe

Post by John Evans »

Buy the belts made of many links ! You do not have to take anything apart to install,and they work every bit as well as a standard belt. Down side the cost a fair bit more.
www.chaski.com
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

You should sign up on and check the Rockwell Lathe Yahoo group. You can find manuals in the files there, and lots of information (like belt suggestions and numbers) in the archives. There are also a bunch of helpful people with lathes just like yours.

This forum is great for general machining questions, and general machine questions, but there are only a handful of Rockwell Lathe owners here. I think it will help if you have access to both resources.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
kroll

Post by kroll »

Good morning guys,slowly making little progress which is just finding parts.I got the brass gears covered with one of the members here ALCOSTEAM so good there.Today all my oil bushings should show up so I can start to press those bushing in my gears,apron and QCGB.Since I am a beginner and don't know the difference between press fit of friction fit have a question.Using this as an example say I have a bore that is 1.000 and I need to press in one of these bushings,how much smaller should the OD of the bushing be?I know they make 1"OD bushings just using this as an example.Thanks guys
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Larger OD ie 1.0005 to 1.001 would be correct for a press fit.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If the bushings in question are the typical Oilite type, the OD may well be much larger than the target diameter. They make them overslzed, but are the desired size when pressed in the respective hole. If the OD of the bearing is altered, the resulting bore will be too loose.

Rule of thumb for a press fit is .001" oversized per inch of diameter. That means that a 1.000 diameter bore would receive a 1.001 diameter bushing. For precision fits, like bearings, that may be too much press, though. For items with good finishes, .0005" press is generally more than enough, with greater amounts of press often causing a bearing to not run well. Best to look at these things based on what the purpose is, and what is being pressed.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
kroll

Post by kroll »

Good afternoon guys,well I am slow as a snail but I am moving.Been working on the cabinet plugging holes and painting it,if my belts come in this week I may be able to turn the cabinet right side up and install the bed.Being optimistic
Attachments
Cabinet upside down make my life little easier
Cabinet upside down make my life little easier
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Looking good.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Ray Thomas

Post by Ray Thomas »

I have a rw delta 11' lathe that i am trying to assemble, i received it in pieces. I have found replacement back gears for it. I was trying to assemble it by the book that only has diagrams of everything and parts numbers. Anyhow the nut that adjusts the bearings in the headstock appears to be to large in diameter and won't clear the clutch shaft. I pulled the shaft and seem to have the nut in place but the clutch shaft won't clear it. Are my bearings in to far? Or has this nut been re made? It screws on freely but there is evidence that it was redone as there are holes in it for set screws that has a broken tap in one of them. If i cut it down it would clear by taking about 1/8" or so off it. Or do i have it incorrectly assembled ? The nut when in place looks to be correctly assembled up to the ring around the spindle shaft where the threads start. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks Ray Thomas in Springfield SD. rpthomas@goldenwest.net directly.
Ray Thomas

Post by Ray Thomas »

I like the photo of your lathe cabinet looks like mine but much nicer someone painted mine bluegreen . What model is it and does the shift lever pull out and disengage the clutch? Thats what my book shows. but mine has a lever that has a knob that pulls out and only works the clutch when rotated. I have no safety linkage and someone messed up the back gears. I have found very nice replacements. Trying to get spindle back together in the head stock. Does your nut for the main bearing preload fit over top of the clutch shaft? Or does it slide in before the clutch shaft, or extend after it? My clutch shaft won't slide back in the way i have it now. Any Ideas? 11" rockwell delta metal lathe. Thanks Ray
Ray Thomas

Post by Ray Thomas »

I started out buying 50" to short went to 52" to long wouldn't tighten up. Third time was the charm 51" . however my lathe is an early one with the crank for the speed adjustment. ymmv 11" rockwell delta
kroll

Post by kroll »

Ray how you coming with your lathe?Were you able to figure things out?