Lathe parts

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Hammer989

Re: Lathe parts

Post by Hammer989 »

spro wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 pm It is too easy to bend something back without proper support. You end up with a "dog leg" which then requires further pounding. The crash induced some damage to the original bushings but those can be replaced/ reamed straight. That original pinion shaft has actually bent? Keep us informed about that because we are with you.
Spro

Thanks for advice! I will look further into the bent shaft and bushing area. Press it will be.
Appears gear is 19 Tooth 1.285 OD at outer most part of gear. Varying measurements even though worm gear appears to not ride on outside of gear.
Going to try Griz for parts.

Thanks
spro

Post by spro »

The worm looked good (from afar) . The wheel didn't look sheered off unless it was the lower part I estimated. This recent discussion about how they need to be independently lubed, is great info. If the worm turns as Griz supplies the correct wheel at reasonable price, good news.
spro

Post by spro »

Mine was a minor crash and didn't bend the pinion gear. That pinion gear shaft may need to be found or may built from scratch. That influences too many things to be the least bit wobbly.
I suspect that somewhere there is a load of these parts for our lathes which haven't yet been melted down for newer ones.