Chuck mounting helper

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Chuck mounting helper

Post by John Evans »

Don't get me wrong ,I DO like my L-00 spindle on my Clausing 5914 ,but holding a 30 lb or heaver chuck and getting the spindle nut started can be a pain. The L spindle is a little harder to get the chuck on than a threaded or D 1 style,especially when you are getting old and creaky ! :roll: So for a little afternoon project I played wood butcher and whipped up 3 chuck cradles for lack of a better term. One for each 6"-8" &10" chucks.
Attachments
chuck wedge 001.JPG
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Re: Chuck mounting helper

Post by SteveHGraham »

I need to do that instead of using a board.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

My 5914 came with one for the 8" 4-Jaw and
I made one for my 10" 4-Jaw. I need to make
one for the 3-Jaw.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Some years ago I built a home made overhead traveling hoist system, pretty much centered over the two big lathes to facilitate installing and removing large chucks but I have used it to lift large items into the lathes.
I fabricated a "C" shaped device that I can adjust the hook on top to level out different chuck weights. The bottom, or the part that I clamp into the chuck jaws I made a shaft with bearings and slid a piece of tube over them so that the chucks rotate easily for alignment on the L1 spindle, or in the case of the old lathe a threaded spindle.
I used to dread changing the big chucks, and used to use my die lift cart to get chucks up and over the lathe beds and onto wood, then shim and fiddle for alignment to get on the spindle. Now its no big deal.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

At a shop I worked with, the crew had mounted a post crane to the lathe that allowed a chuck to be pivoted onto a table that sat behind the lathe.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've got cradles just like that on my 17x60. I made them just a tiny bit low. So I just slide the chuck up, lock a cam on top which lifts the chuck slightly, and the cradle slides right out. Really nice for mounting up my very heavy Buck 4 jaw (with big backing plate that needs cut down) and my 10" import 3 jaw (for cast iron, rusty metal, basically a "beater"). With my day-to-day 8" Bison 3 jaw, and 8" LD 4 jaw, it's easy enough by hand.

On my cradles, I didn't try to be as slick as John. I just created a bed block from scrap lumber (2x4 mostly). I cut a small notch on the bottom to accommodate the front v-way as a locator. I then took some 45* miter drops and slid them up to where they acted sort of like a v-block that cradled the chuck (mounted on spindle) at a position I liked (slightly loose). Ran in some screws and job done.

I've also got a "sky lift" post crane, but almost never need to use it.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have the same cradle for my Atlas (yes, my chuck is a LOT smaller).

I also made a flat plywood piece that hooks over the bed. You hook the front edge over the front of the bed and drop the far end down and it locks on the bed. That way, I can do anything on the lathe without worrying about dropping something on the bed, whether it be a chuck, the work piece or whatever.

Steve
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I put a 16" to 20" dowel or broom stick a little over halfway into the chuck and tighten the jaws on it. Then I loosen of the locks (D1-5) and slide the chuck off using the dowel as a handle to carry it away. I do the reverse to reinstall it. With the dowel in the shaft you can manipulate the chuck to mount it again. The wood dowel doesn't harm the morse taper of the shaft. Still keep some plywood on the bed just in case I have a dropsy moment. If I hadn't come up with the idea of a dowel John's cradle method would be in play. Someday maybe a hoist.
Herb Kephart

Post by Herb Kephart »

We have done the same thing as Earlgo on one of the large lathes, the other biggie has a swinging arm post crane with an electric hoist. Another heavy thing to move around is the vise on one of the 16" shapers. A short overhead rail with a hoist picks this up with an eyebolt, screwed into the movable jaw. The other 16" is a heavy duty, and has a rail with an electric hoist--but that's more for lifting the work up to the vise. Sorry for the off topic, I DO know the difference between a lathe and a shaper, but the problem--raising something heavy into place is the same

Herb
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

It's not a bad idea, even for smaller chucks. Spinning a little 5" off of the spindle of my 10" was always a pain because I was afraid it would spin and then fall to the bed. Putting a board underneath helped, but it still dropped a couple inches. A cradle like your's keeps it from dropping and keeps it under control!
Dave
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

A chuck falling on the bed is a bad thing..... But falling and smashing my fingers on the bed is worst....
I have a small gantry that does the trick for me.... But those wooden cradles wouldnt require nearly as much effort to get into position....

Great idea John...
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Lazz wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am A chuck falling on the bed is a bad thing..... But falling and smashing my fingers on the bed is worst....
I have a small gantry that does the trick for me.... But those wooden cradles wouldnt require nearly as much effort to get into position....

Great idea John...
The only problem is that with bigger chucks, one still has to lift it off of the bed and put it away. As I get older, I am more aware of how bad that is on my back. There's no way to really get one's legs under it without reaching out and lifting with the back first. Smaller chucks are no big deal, but the crane would be pretty handy for big chucks.

Dave