Info regarding lathe clutch repair

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

atr

Info regarding lathe clutch repair

Post by atr »

Hi
I have an old Italian lathe named Alcione (manufactured by PPL. the manufacturer no longer exists). the problem that I'm facing with it is a very noisy clutch. the clutch is functioning - it engages and disengages but while the motor is turned on the clutch produces a loud noisy. my guess is that it's caused by worn plates but I'm not sure. my request is that if somebody ever "overhauled" such a clutch - on any lathe - and willing to share info regarding it - it will be highly appreciated.
Thanx.
RMinMN

Re: Info regarding lathe clutch repair

Post by RMinMN »

I would suspect a throwout bearing failing to be the cause of the noise. Worn plates shouldn't make any noise at all unless they are so bad that they are slipping. Look for any bearing in the head to possibly cause the problem.
atr

Post by atr »

Thanx for the response but I dont believe that the fault is in the head because the noise exists even when there is no movement in the head. it only takes to turn on the main switch, causing the motor to turn and the noise to appear. what I've done, is to remove the drive belts from the motor, because I wanted to verify that the noise not caused by the motor. sure enough, the motor rotates quietly with the drive belts removed, so, I guess that it's caused by the clutch unit.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I don't know about your lathe clutch, but in the automotive world, what you describe is almost always a throwout bearing. The common initial characteristic is "noisy until you engage", but in many cases (full failure) it is also noisy engaged. So my first suspicion would be the same.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper