Taper attachment info for DL 1860

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Andy Rafferty

Taper attachment info for DL 1860

Post by Andy Rafferty »

I recently took over a machine shop. Shortly before my arrival a lathe marked Birmingham with the above model # was set up. The boxed taper attachment found behind it is for a 22 inch Enco. I need a taper attachment. The lathe cross screw doesn't extend beyond the slide like a SB so I expect to have to build the extension from the nut to the taper attachment but I would cherish any and all input. Thanks for your time. Andy
Glenn Brooks

Re: Taper attachment info for DL 1860

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Andy, Iam not familiar with the machine you identify. Also not clear if you need a new taper attachment, or does the Enco one fit, but just needs a longer screw?

If a longer screw, you could have someone make a new screw (and nut , if needed ) to tie everything together. Might also have the benefit of improving your surface finish and precision re: DOC with a new, unworn cross feed screw and nut. It certainly did on my SB Fourteen.

Cheers,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Andy Rafferty

Re: Taper attachment info for DL 1860

Post by Andy Rafferty »

Thanks Glenn, I hope to find a taper attachment to fit, the Enco part won't bolt up but could be adapted as with the steps you described. Thanks for your help.