Carbide question

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

philbert

Carbide question

Post by philbert »

What is the shiny grey piece under the insert called? What is it made of? And is its purpose just to protect the cutting edge on the other side of the insert from being chipped by the tool?
Attachments
IMG_9699.JPG
Dave_C

Re: Carbide question

Post by Dave_C »

It is called the anvil and it can be changed out to change the rake. Some are set to make negative rake, some positive, some neutral. Which one you need or want depends on the insert you are using and perhaps the metal you are cutting as some metals cut best with either a negative rake or a positive rake.

Some are made of carbide!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's a carbide seat that lends support to the insert and protects the tool holder from damage if the insert breaks under heavy load.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Cabi Universal calls them "shim seats",

MSC calls them "Anvils" Look here..https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Ind ... d=12107181

It all depends on the manufacture of the tool holder as to what they are called. (But they serve the same purpose)

And to be honest, I could not find the tool I ran across that had interchangeable seats to change the rake! I don't own any, all of mine are just as Glenn stated, just seats to support the insert.

IF I should find what I was referring to, I'll post where I read about it. (I'm not going to work very hard at it) :lol:

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

GlennW wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am It's a carbide seat that lends support to the insert and protects the tool holder from damage if the insert breaks under heavy load.
Cheaper to replace that part than the toolholder.

Steve
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I have similar "anvils" on an insert face mill used with square SEKN type inserts. That style lacks a center mounting hole, it is instead held by a clamp. The holder has an angle that matches the one on the edges of the insert, and the "anvil" serves as a "shim", because if it is thinner or thicker the insert will move laterally.

That lateral movement is what determines how far the corner (which is the cutting part) sits in relation to the other inserts. So the Z axis alignment for the inserts in determined by the thickness of this part. I am unsure if these shims are all the same thickness or not, but I can get less than 0.001" difference on cutting height on all the inserts when they are undamaged/unworn and properly seated. That is plus/minus 0.0005", the limits of what I have to measure with.

I also have some insert type end mills (using single TPU type inserts) that have the carbide mounted directly to the tool body. These inserts are clamped by a screw with a broad head that goes not through the center, but alongside of one edge of the triangle, into the tool body. A single insert tool obviously lacks any issue involved in aligning multiple inserts.

It would seem that the cutter/holder design determines the need for that part, not the carbide itself.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

More common on turning tools, especially negative rake tooling, (which is what the OP is referring to) than on milling cutters.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
philbert

Post by philbert »

Thanks. These are both neutral rake inserts. I've not used these type before, and it was interested to see the center pin has a camming action to push the insert into the pocket, and then the clamp to hold it down