South Bend 11" new to me

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

South Bend 11" new to me

Post by John Evans »

I have found it pays to be a helpful nice guy because every once in awhile you get a sweet payback. This lathe was offered to my dealer friend and he was not interested so passed on to me. Truth time I bought it to resell as I don't need it !! Near as I can tell a Model O from mid 20s ,wear on ways not to bad near the chuck. Big PLUS'S Taper attachment and a GAP bed ! The gap is anew one on me . All gears teeth are there and the "Silent" chain drive ain't all that silent to me ,a little MC chain lube may help there . New 3 jaw ,4 jaw,faceplate ,drill chuck, live center, 2 dead centers. Needs a tool post set. With the overhead drive the thing is kinda cute !! Just may have second thoughts and put it in my family room ! :lol: 1hp 3 phase which to me is a plus. Serial 28160 Cat # 163B ,5'bed.
Attachments
SB 11 002.JPG
SB 11 004.JPG
SB 11 003.JPG
SB 11 005.JPG
SB 11 006.JPG
www.chaski.com
pete

Re: South Bend 11" new to me

Post by pete »

That gap is a new one on me as well and I didn't know they were ever made like that. Has to be a pretty rare and I'd guess probably built to toolroom accuracy specifications. That also seems to be a lot longer taper attachment than you usualy see. Likely a gunsmith type would pay a premium for that lathe. :-)
kroll

Re: South Bend 11" new to me

Post by kroll »

Dang,I say you won the lottery.Plus that lathe has a lot of character and those beautiful cast iron legs.Come on now,it don't take up that much space:)