Self-ejecting chuck keys Y/N

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Self-ejecting chuck keys Y/N

Post by Harold_V »

John Hasler wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:28 pm Perhaps I should put a rack for lathe chuck keys on the end of the mill table?
I did that for the few files, three cornered scraper, large screwdriver (really a pry bar to remove T slot stops) and my 1" soft hammer that I keep at my mill. Really helped in keeping the bench top clean, but, more importantly, in finding the tool I want when it's needed. I find I'm really good at putting things back where they belong, which is an added bonus. That wasn't the case when I stored them randomly.

I used a plain piece of ¼" thick aluminum flat stock, attaching the holder to the bottom side of the bench top. I plan to do that for my lathe bench, too. All in good time!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have a cheap Home Depot roll-round two-drawer tool cart with opening top/work surface, filled with all the lathe tools and organized for consistent access.
Chucks live on the bottom shelf.
I simply roll it next to the lathe and have all lathe tools at arm's reach.
And I return all keys to their assigned location in the tool box after use. They are always where I expect to find them. And they all stay clean.
Too simple?
And it is a useful portable work surface when I'm not using the lathe.
~RN
powder-coated-black-husky-tool-carts-h2dmc-64_1000.jpg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Here's a picture of the organizer I made.

You can't see it, but underneath is a piece that fits under the ways so that it can't tip off - you have to slide it off the end.

The reason I don't use it any more is that the tailstock end is in a corner and there is a tool chest along the adjacent wall. While it doesn't block me from doing anything, it makes it less convenient to get stuff off that end.

And you can see my chuck key with the spring.

Steve
Attachments
Organizer_01.JPG
Organizer_01.JPG (36.42 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

After reading about all you proud organized people, I feel the need to confess; I'm a total slob, chaos is my middle name.
It's so bad that as I was composing this in my mind, my hands mislaid a tool that I then spent a half hour searching for.

My workbench is a jungle, my lathe tray is piled with chips, tools, cutoffs, there are projects strewn all over the floors.

But I do intend to improve! I swear, really. Soon, before it's too late.

Long ago I was working in India. I had an unskilled guy working with me, his wage was $1.50
Per day.

Anyway, Ramesh was tasked with finding things I'd lost. He got really good at it. It was great, I was never so productive. .
I saw him a couple of years later, working at a factory I was visiting. I greeted him and made a point of shaking his hand in front of his boss and workmates, which was a big boost for his status and cost me nothing.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

After reading about all you proud organized people, I feel the need to confess; I'm a total slob, chaos is my middle name.
People are different and brain organization processes are all over the map.
Whatever work for each of you must be respected as your personal style.

As for my own style, I found that order is more productive. Is like finance, the time invested in organizing, cleaning up, storing and labeling rationally pay big dividends both in money and time saving. Disorder is like borrowing time at high interest.

When my shop gets messy, and it does, I find myself running around, mowing stuff to make room to lay down a new operation such as moving the collets and the end mill boxes to make room for the granite table to layout a new piece. The time to find tools increase, meantime I lose focus and fail to see a print detail. Machine a feature in the wrong location.
As soon as I sense that, is time out, clean up, put away stuff. One thing I truly hate is chips on the floor, broom and vacuum are the most used tools.

I spent my professional life in an electronic R&D lab. A no-man land where most people attitude was: "My work is so important that I will build the circuit to test, assemble the bench, discard broken equipment or empty bins without bothering to reorder, and when done leave the bench as is, full of solder ball, unused components, balls of tangled probes and anything I used strew around or on the floor because I am too damn important to pick it up"

These people were working the hardest and produced the slowest and at low quality.

All technicians and young engineers I mentored were taught to start with a clean bench, permanently connected cables out of the way, draped behind and test probes easy to follow and untangle so you knew which trace was showing what.
And so many other measuring techniques and good habits. They all had rewarding careers.

You may say I am certifiable Anal Retentive OCD
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!
Me too...
~RN
epanzella

Post by epanzella »

One key that keeps popping out would be bad enough, but dealing with two of those when using my four jaw would drive me crazy.
Ed P
SAVE A COW, EAT A DEER
Abby

Post by Abby »

You might say that the four jaw would drive your foul jaw !
Dan.
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

Being a retired construction type... Im not either version.
Im a chicken.
Before I touch any tool I consider how much this could hurt...
That successful method left me with only the loss of some hearing... :)
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

during machinery repairman school in the navy, some kid kept leaving the key in the lathe chuck, I remember the chief tying a rope on it, and made him wear it around his neck all day......after seeing that, ive never needed a self ejecting key.....your supposed to be smart enough not to leave it in the chuck