Monarch lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Monarch lathe

Post by Mr Ron »

I was watching a video featuring the Monarch model 10EE lathe and noticed that the X and Y axis can both be powered at the same time. What application would use this feature?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
John Hasler

Re: Monarch lathe

Post by John Hasler »

Cutting a taper.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

A very specific and not terribly useful taper since you don't have any control, much less fine control, of the feeds independently. Unless there is something I'm missing, I would expect it's just a peculiarity of the design that didn't require independent lock-out rather than actually a feature.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Monarch makes (made?) taper attachments.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I expect they are still made, or can be had made, but only lawyers (and their cousins the politicians) can afford them.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

What about rappers?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, ok, but they wouldn't know what to order, and it doesn't come in gold plate.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

BadDog wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:14 pm A very specific and not terribly useful taper since you don't have any control, much less fine control, of the feeds independently. Unless there is something I'm missing, I would expect it's just a peculiarity of the design that didn't require independent lock-out rather than actually a feature.
But it is the ratio of the feeds that controls the taper, since everything is gear-driven and therefor synchonous.

However, it turns out that you can't engage the leadscrew and the power crossfeed at once: just the power feeds. There may not be many options after all.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Exactly my point. The taper is defined by the ratio of the long feed vs the cross feed with no way to change the ratio. If that happens to be 2:1, then you can turn 2:1 (half angle) tapers, perhaps with the compound for depth of cut, but it's not much use otherwise. Maybe that might produce things convenient for an aesthetic feature, but not likely anything else.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Correct. If it generated a 45° angle, it would be quite useful, but it doesn't. It can be used to break edges when the angle isn't critical, however. That was something I did on occasion when I was assigned to an EE. Problem was, pretty much everything was specified (including edge breaks), so I wasn't at liberty to use it much.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I don't think it cuts a 45 on mine. Maybe it does. It is certainly not a substitute for the taper attachment. I agree with BadDog that it's not necessarily a "feature", but something that didn't need to be made another way.

Dave
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The ATLAS 12" lathe will also engage both lead-screw and cross-feeds at the same time, but I have never tried it. Might be fun to see the flinders fly. :shock:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.