Monarch lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Cary Stewart

Re: Monarch lathe

Post by Cary Stewart »

Another fine car. When I was a boy during WWII my neighbor across the street had tow interesting vehicles. Their car was a 1936 Pierce Arrow business coupe with a rumble seat. I have to tell you that that was the longest business coupe you ever saw. I don't think it had a lot of miles on as it burned no oil. The lady of the house would take all the kids on the block to Saturday AM movies. A whole car load. The other vehicle was a Indian 4 cylinder Chief motorcycle. The man of the house was a motorman for Pacific Electric and went to work on it. Both of them were in a ochre or butter scotch paint with the Pierce having dark olive green fenders. Ah how great it was.
Cary
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm not privy to information in regards to the 13EE, but as far as my teaching, the price is right. That's assuming you have faith in what I offer. It's free. About what it's worth, in reality.

A great deal can be conveyed via email and other media on the net. One can be nudged in a direction, but it takes effort on the part of the individual seeking help to assimilate what is offered. There are times when advice may not make sense, but there's generally a good reason, so you must have trust that the individual knows what he's talking about. Some folks aren't willing to do that, and some folks simply don't subscribe to things in which they prefer to not believe. The use of a belt sander for sharpening cutting tools is a good example. Personally, I don't like the slight rounding of the cutting edge, but there are those who use one and accept the results. They think I'm crazy-----I don't. All it takes to confirm the rounding is to examine the resulting edge with a comparator.

So then, my good friend, anything I can do to help you I am willing to do. Just don't expect instant results. It takes time to learn the fundamentals of machining, and even more time to hone the skills required to do work reliably. My immediate advice is to learn to work to close tolerance, even when it doesn't matter. If you master that process, machining will come easy. If you don't, you'll struggle with simple things, and get very discouraged, even intimidated, when tight tolerance work is required.

Rule of thumb..
Don't assume that you'll never have need to work closely. If you ever have need to fit a bearing, you'll have to work to tenths. It's not all that hard to do if you use the correct approach. If you don't, you'll achieve success only by coincidence. That's no way to machine.
Good to see you back on the board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:56 am It takes time to learn the fundamentals of machining, and even more time to hone the skills required to do work reliably. My immediate advice is to learn to work to close tolerance, even when it doesn't matter. If you master that process, machining will come easy. If you don't, you'll struggle with simple things, and get very discouraged, even intimidated, when tight tolerance work is required.

H
Words to live by!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Jaxian

Post by Jaxian »

My guess would be it is a side effect of another VERY useful feature. It seems every time I see a lathe that can run both cross and long feeds at the same time they have a feed reverse lever of some sort on the apron. My 10EE does, my lathe that requires me to change feed direction on the headstock has one of those shared feed levers, not one for each.

Just looking it seems if they have a feed reverse on the apron, they can also be run with both feeds at the same time. The utter uselessness of it would seem to bear out that it is just a side effect of that very useful feature. Could you imagine running some big American Pacemaker or L&S and running to the headstock to change feed directions, huge waste of time.

Every time I use my 10EE that reverse lever/pull gets used all the time. It is so convenient I miss it every time I use one of my other lathes.

That's my guess.