Shun Shin Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Dale Beatty

Shun Shin Lathe

Post by Dale Beatty »

Hi, can anybody help, I have bought a Shun Shin lathe, it is wired for 3 phase but has no motor or stepped pulley. Does anyone have any idea as to what HP and RPM motor and the diameters for the stepped pulley. Also there is no mechanism to engage the drive.
2018-07-21 09.14.41.jpg
John Evans

Re: Shun Shin Lathe

Post by John Evans »

2 things First please add a location to your profile. Then see the thread "Taiwanese lathe spindle" as it appears that "Gina" has the same lathe and may be able to answer your questions.
You sure about 3 phase? Unusual on a import lathe that size. I would use a 1 HP single phase unless you have 3 phase available.
www.chaski.com
Dale Beatty

Post by Dale Beatty »

Hi John,
I am in Lusaka Zambia. I placed the picture in the wrong place as I am not that good with all this IT stuff. The lathe is wired for 3 phase with forward and reverse contactors, also the coolant pump is 3 phase. Would you know what RPM the motor should run at and the size of the motor pulleys. Thank you Dale
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dale,
Welcome to the Chaski board.
Your picture was not placed improperly. You did good! :-)
I may not be correct, but from looking at the picture you posted, it's entirely possible the intended method of starting/stopping the machine is to use the start and stop electrical buttons. That can be less than desirable if the machine has a geared head. However, I see no evidence of any levers that might be used to do so. Might not hurt to take a look at the motor and drive system to see if there's a clutch of some description, or evidence that an operating lever may have been removed from the carriage.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Dale: I have some experience with a few lathes of that design. One , here in the USA those would have been sold with a single phase 120-240V motor 1725 RPM. Two ,sorry don't remember what the pulley sizes might have been and don't know anyone at the moment that has a similar one. You might look at Grizzly's website for a similar lathe then look at the manual/parts breakdown for that machine and maybe you can get a idea as to pulley size. Also have a look at
lathes.co.uk as Tony has a section on generiac Taiwan/Chinese made lathes.

Harold : look close ! that is a belt head with back gear. That is a typical Taiwanese/Chinese design sold by jet-ENCO-Grizzly etc. in several sizes.
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Zambia!
It's great to hear from people in other places.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, John. I'm not the least bit familiar with those machines---but that they're designed as a belt head tends to support my thoughts that the motor is cycled to start and stop the spindle (no clutch). Not a great design, but inexpensive to build, and it is functional.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I've got a big Taiwanese Industrial gear head (comparable to Victor HD line) that unfortunately works the same way. Seems to be standard operation for all the Asian machines from large to small. Even the modern much loved Mori Seiki has no clutch, at least not on any machine I've seen.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

That lathe looks about comparable to what Grizzly sells/sold? as a 12" x 24" machine. If my eyeball estimate is correct then at least a 2 hp motor. If you know the machines rated low and high speeds you can work backwards with the pulley ratios to come up with what motor rpm it came with. If it were me? I'd certainly use a 3 ph VFD combination as that allows a bit higher and lower speeds than the machine was built to do.