Jet 1224

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Jet 1224

Post by SteveM »

Anyone know anything about a Jet 1224?

Can't find anything on Tony Griffiths' or Keith Rucker's sites, probably because I don't know who actually made it.

Looks to be the same thing branded as Enco.

Steve
Attachments
Jet1224.jpg
Jet1224.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
John Evans

Re: Jet 1224

Post by John Evans »

Generic Taiwanese lathe , look on tony;s site under Taiwan lathes. Belt head sold with threaded and cam lock spindles, can't tell from picture what spindle for sure. Some had a odd 50MM X 8 thread spindle hard to find back plates for that size. Otherwise a sturdy little lathe ,many had hard beds. Everybody and their brother sold those under many names. Had a very similar one branded as a "LAN" about 850 lbs or so.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks. Lots of information out there on it, now that I know where to look.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

These lathes were built in Taiwan and some original info said the beds were cast and set back to age a few years. Afterwards, they were planed, milled but a step was hardening the ways. They are hard. Another step was grinding them. That happened and that is fine. The heavy carriage and tail stock are softer. Stuff happens over time and there are remedies to lathes like this. The ways aren't broad but there are many . It isn't bout the ways anyways. The softer iron which runs over them.
spro

Post by spro »

I cannot speak too high yet dismiss these lathes. There are quirks which can be corrected. That bed isn't going anywhere except maybe when it hauled out after me. There will be a tough time with that 12X36. It came with a Polish chuck which remains astounding quality. That was before they were known as Bisons. These lathes are tough as nails but nails have gone wimpy. Little things which could be made ..irreplaceable Oh My. We are machinists after all.
Edit! we are not all Machinists . I don't claim to be one but dang try.