Look what followed me home today

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Look what followed me home today

Post by SteveM »

I picked up a Pratt and Whitney 7" bench lathe today.
IMG_0868.JPG
Been looking for one to go alongside my mill for about 10 years. Mostly, I just find the 10" model which takes 5PN collets.

Pretty complete, although it is missing the speedranger drive.

Has the bed, headstock, drawbar, collets (missing 2 or 3), talstock, slide rest, 3-jaw, faceplate, dog drive, compound, a motor that is set up with a drum switch, but wired only for forward (the motor is reversing - just have to figure the wiring).

A little rust, but not on anything critical. The faceplate and dog drive are pretty rusty and the tailstock chuck is rusted solid, but the cross slide works smooth and the headstock bearings seem fine.

Interesting how the base, feet and bed are cast as one unit. I can pick it up, but just barely. The underside has pads where the mounting holes are, two on the headstock end and one under the tailstock end (you can just see it below the tailstock partly obscured by the belt). This ensured that mounting the lathe to a bench would not twist the bed.

Now I will have to build a new bench so that I can put the lathe and the mill next to each other.

Steve
pete

Re: Look what followed me home today

Post by pete »

Nice score. :-)
spro

Post by spro »

Hi Steve. That lathe is a remarkable one. I never saw one like it. Just as you said about the bed and base together. You have the collets. cool. The cross slide and compound slide are very short yet of long travel. You just can't do that with cheap cast iron. P & W ruled.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

spro wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:00 pmThe cross slide and compound slide are very short yet of long travel.
The long travel on the compound was one of the attractions. I could cut a longer taper on this lathe than on my Atlas.

Steve