CME 4-jaw chuck

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

CME 4-jaw chuck

Post by neanderman »

I've been looking for a 4-jaw chuck for the LeBlond for a while, hoping to find a used one. But they don't pop up that often. So I decided to look for a new one and found these:

https://cme-tools.myshopify.com/product ... 5779184707

Reasonably priced.

Anyone with any experience?

Thanks!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Re: CME 4-jaw chuck

Post by spro »

Nope, except some of our members are satisfied CME equipment and chucks. The prices are reasonable and your back plate will have to be made. It is better when you've already done that and faced the face on your lathe. That way, you can see/ measure the concentricity of the mounted chuck. It can be a great 4-jaw but if it's back surface is off, it will wobble at any setting. okay we know that.
Another thing is, they say it has two-piece reversible jaws. I don't see any evidence of that or why a 4-jaw would need that, since the jaw is unwound and reversed.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

I have bought several 6" 3 jaw chucks from them and a back plate or 2 decent quailty so far. The 3 jaw chucks were actually a bit better than I was expecting given the price. But do check the shipping costs as I have found a couple of sellers with cheap prices and sky high shipping.
www.chaski.com
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Tip - CME also sells on eBay as niuniucme, wait for a discount code from eBay, those appear from time to time on their home page banner.
Picked up a 6" h/v Vertex rotary table with one of those codes.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks, guys!
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

ED,

I have a 4 jaw Skinner and a Horton I believe, but If memory serves correct your Dual Drive is an L00 nose. Either chuck would need a back plate which usually cost more than the chuck itself. I'll check the sizes and get back to you.

Nyle
Patio

Post by Patio »

They have L00 back plates too. No D1-5s though. :(
https://cme-tools.myshopify.com/product ... 3048239116
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

I like 4 jaw chucks that have T-slots between the jaws. This allows for some fixtures if needed.

4 jaw chucks that have 2 piece jaws where the tops can be unbolted and turned around are nice. You can remove the solid jaws and make your own special jaws. I needed some jaws that were longer than the standard jaw height for odd shaped parts.

Richard W.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

T slots between the jaws become more common as size goes up, but as noted, I like them a lot, particularly when mounting a difficult part that may not be able to sustain sufficient pressure with the jaws.

2 piece jaws on a 4 jaw has been on my wish list for a long time. So far I haven't managed to find a deal I thought was practical, so on the list it remains. Apparently I'm just too cheap.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
spro

Post by spro »

Okay then, I was wrong. They are there but the picture at the CME site didn't show it for the exact chuck ED was looking at.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Correct, the Dual Drive uses an L00 -- I suspect that's partly why used ones are hard to find.

They do say they are 2 pc, removable jaws, which is nice. They have pictures of 4 jaw chucks with slots, but don't indicate which sizes have them.

I'm thinking a 10" -- I have both an 8" and a 15" 3-jaw, and the 10" is something I have a reasonable expectation of being able to pick up. :D I could see a 12", maybe...
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

spro

Post by spro »

Well, you don't need to go to a huge chuck like that for L00. The outside jaws expand wider than the chuck and there is more weight for no reason.