Brand new old school south Bend 10” lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Brand new old school south Bend 10” lathe!

Post by Mr Ron »

EOsteam wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 am I had an older fella give me some,advice many years ago. He said, “It doesn’t matter what what the value is. It only matters what somebody is willing to pay for it.” Ebay is over run with sellers who do not seem to understand this simple fact.
That is the definition of "value", what someone is willing to accept.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Mr Ron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:51 pm
EOsteam wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 am I had an older fella give me some,advice many years ago. He said, “It doesn’t matter what what the value is. It only matters what somebody is willing to pay for it.” Ebay is over run with sellers who do not seem to understand this simple fact.
That is the definition of "value", what someone is willing to accept.
Both what someone is willing to give up for it and what someone else is willing to give it up for.

Steve
4gsr

Post by 4gsr »

i guess my 9" model A SBL, that's been in the family since it was bought in 1949, fully tooled, no taper attachment, no metric threading, in very nice shape is worth at least half that much. Would I get that much for it if I sold it? No, not even close to it.

Nice find though.
Ken
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

That 10K is a brand new machine with most all the tooling. It has a hardened bed. It's built better than any lathe it's size on the market today. It's got a couple of life times of home shop use in it and then there is more than enough left to rebuild for another lifetime in someones shop.
You won't find that with any other machine at that price. Would I pay that price for the lathe? I paid about half that for my 10K in '84 and it was made in '78. Mine had very little use and almost no detectable wear. And it came with a bed turret fitted at the factory, collets, chucks, steady rest, etc.

Is that machine worth the money? Hell yes. It's new and ready to work. You will have a hard time finding that quality from anywhere for less money.

That's my opinion...

Pete
Just tryin'
plumberzpieco

Post by plumberzpieco »

plumberzpieco wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 pm There’s a butt for every seat!
I see someone cleaned up my statement. I had questioned my sense of sarcasm but went with it. Thanks though.

I had actually found a 10k that was probably never used as evident by it not having any wear marks on its soft bed. Found it at HGR and had a heavy layer of dust on it and I took a roll of the dice thinking I hope this isn’t a pig. After cleaning it I just about ...... myself finding the gem it was. A wire was disconnected and no one had investigated so it sat collecting dust. This was probably 5 years ago and had flipped it for $1800 which I thought was fair at the time. No tooling except a chuck and I threw in part of a taper attachment as the guy was so exited I figured what the heck. He was the first person to look at it didn’t even hesitate in giving me what I wanted. I actually got a laugh at the calls I got from people telling me I was crazy.

Aside from there being an
53FBACF7-BE50-4BF8-B0EB-DBC3E52943A3.jpeg
53FBACF7-BE50-4BF8-B0EB-DBC3E52943A3.jpeg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
for every seat, profit isn’t a dirty word.