I bought a Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: I bought a Lathe

Post by SteveHGraham »

If you're really doing this, it would be great to have a long thread with pictures.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
bob54

Post by bob54 »

Sounds like a good idea
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

John will probably find it entertaining.
bob54

Post by bob54 »

what are your thoughts on installing a Tumbler on this with the shaft sticking out. and do I need to use the transformer.

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/oakdus ... as%20Lathe
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

bob54 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:44 pm I appreciate your advice John, but I am going to muddle through with it. I really am wanting to learn how they work and learn how to k=make parts for go-karts.
So what are your thoughts on installing a Tumbler on this with the shaft sticking out. and do I need to use the transformer.
Need some better pictures ! a good picture of what is under the end cover on the left [head stock] end will be of help as to your tumbler question. Why would you need a transformer? Motor in the picture should be a single phase 120 volt that may be wired for 220 . As far as that goes motor may be too small ,you should have a 1/2-3/4 hp. Here are a couple of pictures of the drive area from a Atlas I just sold. 3rd picture is the tumbler lever,rest is under the cover.
Attachments
Atlas 007.JPG
Atlas 008.JPG
Atlas 009.JPG
Atlas 003.JPG
www.chaski.com
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

SteveHGraham wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:53 pm John will probably find it entertaining.
Steve : This kinda reminds me of your first lathe purchase ! :lol:
www.chaski.com
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Looking at the motor closer that is not a capacitor start motor ain't gona work.
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

John Evans wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 pm Steve : This kinda reminds me of your first lathe purchase ! :lol:
God, I hope not.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

John Evans wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 pm Looking at the motor closer that is not a capacitor start motor ain't gona work.
Why do you say that?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

John Hasler wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:24 pm
John Evans wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 pm Looking at the motor closer that is not a capacitor start motor ain't gona work.
Why do you say that?
Well John DO you see any signs of a cap? And the general looks of that motor looks like maybe a 1/4 horse off some kind of appliance or furnace blower ,tag would tell all.
www.chaski.com
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

It could be DC from all I can tell from the picture (that would be plausible given the application). However, it clearly *did* work, whatever type it is.

In any case motors are easy to come by.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ummm I am not an electrical person, but I always thought that the thingy under the metal cover on this 12" Atlas motor was a capacitor.
Lathe Motor
Lathe Motor
You electrical neat freaks can stop puckering now. It has not yet caught on fire. knock, knock
--earlgo (the EI)
P.S. to bob54 Buy another lathe as you will need it to make parts for your rebuild. Ask me how I know, and I started with a working lathe.
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.