I bought a Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

bob54

I bought a Lathe

Post by bob54 »

Bought it dirt cheap, now I need to change it over to a regular lathe.
Currently the lathe is setup to make drums for printing presses. Not for metal turning. One carriage moves to the right while the other moves left. Has anyone ever seen one like this or used it.
Any help on locating parts for it is appreciated. I know I need a tail stock, a tool holder, will I need a transmission for it?
the link below has a description and photos of the machine.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner
Bill Shields

Re: I bought a Lathe

Post by Bill Shields »

you have your work cut out for you.

look at the lead screw that drives the carriages left and right..

is it split in the center with one section left handed, the other right handed??

it doesn't look like any of the mechanism for driving the cross slide / carriage is present in the apron...

to say nothing of the totally missing gearbox...

it will probably cost you more to fix than to find another...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

Too many of the standard parts for the lathe are missing to make it practical to restore. Remove the carriages, add a tailstock, and make it a wood lathe.
spro

Post by spro »

Since you already bought it, I was trying to look at the positive aspects. It does have the newer head (yet modified) the bed is equally lapped ( worn) to the end. I suppose some parts will sell. One pic shows the lead screw support casting is missing. The bench looks usable.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Looks interesting. I'd pay a couple of hundred for it. Convert it to DC motor drive, of course, if it isn't already there. Replace the leadscrew with a normal one and drive it with a DC motor with future plans for an electronic QCGB for threading. The second carriage is most of your tailstock with interesting additional features. All you need is a ram. Buy a compound and topslide assembly off Ebay and adapt it.

All the hardest to make parts of a lathe are there. Should be easier to get it working as a useful metal lathe than it was to convert my Avey into a mill.
bob54

Post by bob54 »

Thanks everyone
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looks like a modified Atlas 12-36 lathe.
Many were produced and parts are still available.
2 Years ago I purchased parts for a Craftsman (Atlas-built) 12-36 from Sears parts online.
Not all parts will be available, and they are not inexpensive.

Good luck.
~RN
bob54

Post by bob54 »

Thanks RN
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You can also try:
Clausing Service Center
1819 N. Pitcher St
Kalamazoo, MI 49007-1822
PH 269-345-7155

They support the Atlas/Craftsman with whatever parts are available to them. The prices are expensive.
I'd 2nd the suggestion to try e-bay for parts. I bought a few there and they were in good shape.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

No compound. No gears. No threading dial. No feeds. No way to change speeds. No tailstock. It's not really a lathe; it's a specialty machine based on a lathe. It may not be possible to turn it into a lathe. You would have to find all the missing parts (not fun), and the lathe would have to be compatible with them. It may be designed so you can't install them.

You can't do any work with it now. Even if you can find the parts and fix it, it may be two years before you can make your first part.

I would sell it for scrap and move on before putting more money in it. Either that, or part it out for profit.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RSG

Post by RSG »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 am No compound. No gears. No threading dial. No feeds. No way to change speeds. No tailstock. It's not really a lathe; it's a specialty machine based on a lathe. It may not be possible to turn it into a lathe. You would have to find all the missing parts (not fun), and the lathe would have to be compatible with them. It may be designed so you can't install them.

You can't do any work with it now. Even if you can find the parts and fix it, it may be two years before you can make your first part.

I would sell it for scrap and move on before putting more money in it. Either that, or part it out for profit.
Good advice and my sentiments exactly.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

You guys have no sense of adventure.