Auction finds

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

discodan

Auction finds

Post by discodan »

I bought this lot mainly for the 6" 4-jaw chuck, whci is rough looking but works smoothly. Since I couldn't measure before buying, I was hoping the steady was for a 12" lathe but is only for a 10" lathe. I may try to sell and buy the correct one but I could just adapt to my 12x36 Craftsman. I already have 2 3-jaw chucks so this one will be sold. It says Logan 486 on it. Not shown is the drill chuck that came in the lot.
Attachments
20190331_221326_resized.jpg
SteveM

Re: Auction finds

Post by SteveM »

When you say that the chuck is for a 10" lathe and not a 12" lathe, why do you think that?

A 6" 4-jaw would work on either.

Remind us what lathe you have.

If the threads on the backplate are different, then it's just the backplate that needs to be replaced, not the whole chuck, and doing a backplate is a good exercise. Do a search on this site and you will find several threads on doing it (including mine).

You can get a 6" backplate cheap from littlemachineshop.com . It comes rough finished to size and threaded.

Sell the original backplate on ebay.

As to the 3-jaw, extra chucks are handy. You can have one with the outside jaws and one with the inside jaws and you will never have to swap jaws, only chucks (I actually did that just last weekend).

With the latest chuck I just acquired, I think I have six or seven chucks.

That steady looks like a Logan. If it is too short, make a spacer block to fit it to yours. Don't modify it, as one of these days you might actually own a logan and then you'll be kicking yourself for butchering it.

Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

SteveM wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:43 am As to the 3-jaw, extra chucks are handy. You can have one with the outside jaws and one with the inside jaws and you will never have to swap jaws, only chucks (I actually did that just last weekend).
With multiple chucks you can also interrupt work in progress by removing chuck and all and then putting it back without having disturbed the part after dealing with the emergency.
That steady looks like a Logan. If it is too short, make a spacer block to fit it to yours. Don't modify it, as one of these days you might actually own a logan and then you'll be kicking yourself for butchering it.

Steve

Sell it here or on Ebay.
discodan

Post by discodan »

Sorry if my post was not clear. The steady rest is for a 10" lathe because it measures 5 inches to the center of the work envelope. I have a 12x36 Craftsman, so I would have to adapt it to my machine. It is missing the screw on the top finger but that is an easy fix. It has also been broken and brazed but doesn't look like it hurts anything.

On the steady rest there are some cast-in markings. On the upper half of the ring I see 126 and then possibly NH1 and then separate from that is BP. On the base near the mounting surface it appears to be 126 cast in followed by R1. On the machined bottom surface is it stamped SR-100R.

The chucks both have the same threads as my Craftsman. I already have another 3-jaw so I can do as Steve suggests and have one with the jaws installed the opposite of my other 3 jaw. So I may sell one the 3 jaws to open up some cash to buy more stuff I don't need.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

discodan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:33 amThe steady rest is for a 10" lathe because it measures 5 inches to the center of the work envelope. I have a 12x36 Craftsman, so I would have to adapt it to my machine. It is missing the screw on the top finger but that is an easy fix. It has also been broken and brazed but doesn't look like it hurts anything.
OK, that makes more sense.

Making an adapter for that steady should be easy. Make a base for your bed that has a piece that fits between the ways (you could either mill out notches on each side or just bolt the appropriate size piece to flat bar). Then mill the top to accept the base of the steady, including the triangular part to simulate the way.

Steve
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I am eventually going to end up either making a steady or buying one and adapting it since accessories for the 10ee are expensive as .... I agree with making an adapter to go between the steady and your bed. Even if you never own a 10" machine, later down the road, it may be worth more to somebody who has a 10" lathe than somebody looking at your machine and thinking the steady has been butchered.

Dave