Colchester Lathes.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Colchester Lathes.

Post by armscor 1 »

Must watch this, very interesting.
https://youtu.be/nQaAKUAzK0w
super7b

Re: Colchester Lathes.

Post by super7b »

I have a Student, as built in the video, still a brilliantly accurate lathe and a joy to use. 2 speed motor, metric and imperial screwcutting, Burnerd chucks, taper turning attachment. A bargain off eBay for £900 about 12 years ago.

I imagine that the production techniques are identical to those used to make the wonderful pieces of engineering that appear from the Far East.
I also used to have a 15cwt Ford Thames van that the service man drove off on at the end. Max of about 45mph and sucked petrol like it was going out of fashion.
A piece of nostalgia from a age that has passed for ever.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

armscor 1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:26 pm Must watch this, very interesting.
https://youtu.be/nQaAKUAzK0w
Yes! It was very interesting. They don't make them like that any more. My Sheldon 11" was built during the WWII years and is still a well built machine.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
jeffanderson

Post by jeffanderson »

I just joined this forum.
Great place to hang out.
I am hoping to find a fellow Clausing Colchester 15 owner.
My lathe was made in 1970 based on the serial number.
From what I have learned, this is a Colchester lathe made in England and marketed by Clausing in the USA.
I have found this lathe to be very powerful-7.5HP, sturdy and accurate.
The features make it a real work horse also.
If you have one or have run one of these please let me know, I would like to talk to you.
Thanks,
Jeff
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Ahoy Mate What do You want? I have a well used 1985 Clausing Colchester.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is the printed info from when I bought my Harrison VS330TR in 1994.

It was one of the last ones, because they took too much time in production, and they were moving on to the Alpha series of computer controlled lathes.

My lathe may have been built on the same line shown in the video, by then, 1994, Colchester and Harrison were both part of the 600 Group.

The chart is in millimeters, I added inches in red.
DSCN1684.jpeg
DSCN1686.jpeg
DSCN1687.jpeg
DSCN1688.jpeg
DSCN1645.jpeg
RSG

Post by RSG »

That's was awesome, clear to see they don't put that level of accuracy in machines today.....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
jeffanderson

Post by jeffanderson »

mcostello,
This is my lathe.
I am finally feeling more comfortable with the controls and some if it's functions. I found a user manual and parts and maintenance source from vintage machinery.org.
I purchased a 10" Bison 4 jaw brand new. I sure could use a steady rest.
Is your lathe like mine?
Attachments
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_3293 (2).JPG
jeffanderson

Post by jeffanderson »

mcostello wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:57 pm Ahoy Mate What do You want? I have a well used 1985 Clausing Colchester.
mcostello,
What size is your lathe?
My 15x50, lathe came from a community college, I bought it last winter. It looks to have been well maintained but did take a crash or two from learning students. I didn't get it up and running until we moved into our new home in March.
I found out about the feed clutch by accident. I can't remember exactly what I was doing but the feed was stopped and the clutch kept the apron from crashing and burning.
There is an adjustment knob on the lower left side of the apron. It says it is factory set and should not need adjustment. When I was looking to buy this lathe I remember turning it in clockwise a bit=dumb a%$.
I really like the oiler in the apron and all the ball oilers for good lubrication in the crosslide and compound.
Very little backlash, I did adjust the crosslide nuts=came out great after I figured out how to do it. Haven't done much threading yet.
I am just now feeling comfortable with the threading/feed charts.
Everything works as designed.
I have the 7.5 HP motor running on an American Rotary, rotary phase converter, which powers all my 3 phase machines (Brown and Sharpe 618 Micromaster and Sharp 10 x 50 knee mill)
If you have this or similar lathe I hope you don't mind, I may want to ask you some questions.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Yours is very much nicer than Mine, same machine. Ask away.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I have a 13x40, 5hp, Clausing Colchester lathe that was built in '72. My wife bought me this one as birthday gift sometime in the late 80s.
I have a Polyphase VFD on it to provide three phase to the lathe. I rewired the controls on the front of the lathe so they operate the VFD and and respond as they originally did. It has served my well. Missing when we bought the lathe, was a steady rest and follower rest. I still haven't found a steady rest. I bought a follower rest of of EBAY that was advertised a 13", but no, it was for a 15" lathe. Anybody want a follower rest?

Jim B
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

For Colchester lathe parts several people on Practical Machinist in England recommend "Nobila [sp] in Stevenage [sp] England highly.
www.chaski.com