Graziano SAG12

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Tld2375

Graziano SAG12

Post by Tld2375 »

Seeking advice about SAG 12.
I have a beautiful 60’s vintage SAG 12 that has served me well for the last 25 years. It has worked flawlessly until recently. It appears that the transformer that powers the control circuit has fried. I can make it run by manually depressing the main contactor, but there is no voltage to the contactor coil. The transformer has obvious overheat damage. So the question is: Can it be fixed at a reasonable cost? Is it worth trying to fix? Or should sell it or scrap it?
Sadly its a beautiful machine, it will hold a couple of tenths all day long. There are no other problems with it and it has been lightly used for its entire life. I bought it from the original owner. On the other hand, l really don’ t need it, l have another lathe. I am leaning toward the sell/scrap option. Is there any interest in a machine of this age anymore? I know scrap value isn’t much. All opinions welcome!
It takes a lot of balls to build bearings. I have more balls than anyone in Oregon!
ALCOSTEAM

Re: Graziano SAG12

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Having pictures and even some better information and I am sure you will be back in business. No reason to scrap a lathe over a small transformer.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I meant to add you need to edit your info to include at least a general location.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

I agree, however it is not just an everyday transformer. It’s obviously a manufacturer specific model, and l have no clue where to find one, much less what the specifics of it are. The manuals have been lost. I haven’t been able to find any reliable info on the net either.
It takes a lot of balls to build bearings. I have more balls than anyone in Oregon!
pete

Post by pete »

For that lathe I'd try here,https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/s ... -lathes/if anyone can properly answer your questions and solve your problem one of the members there can.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

Thanks!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I would think that our own Harold V here on this discussion board could help you.
Doesn't he have a Graz? And Harold resides not too far North of Portland, OR.

Transformers are not mysteries.
They transform incoming Voltage to a different Voltage. And their size is designed to pass a certain Wattage through them.
They often have their input/output data listed on them.
You also know what is coming through the power cord and the operating relays should have their Voltage listed on them.
I would think a replacement can be found. Although it might not have similar mounting bolt patterns.

Do some more research, and definitely speak with Harold.
You can Private Message him here.

I've used a Graziano and they are excellent lathes.
RussN
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been screwing around with electrics/electronics since the late 60’s so yeah, a transformer is no mystery. This one however has nothing on it to identify it and/or the multitude of wires coming out of it. None of the contactors have any identification either. There is no rating plate or related information anywhere on this machine. I’m able to figure out most circuits, but this thing is a mystery, a complicated mystery at that!
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Ebay has 2 sellers with manuals for the Graziano SAG 12 lathe available.

lathes.co.uk also has the manual listed for sale, and the description says the electrical diagrams are in the manual https://store.lathes.co.uk/print/mg882

Nyle
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

Thanks l’ll check it out!
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Here's a link to a PDF version of the SAG 12 manual.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=547FE296 ... 64&o=OneUp

I certainly wouldn't even consider scrapping a good Graziano lathe just because it has a bad control transformer. It's just not that difficult to retrofit another control transformer. I'm sure another SAG 12 owner could help you out with the specifics of that transformer. You just need to know your input voltage, control voltage and KVa rating of the transformer.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Tld2375

Post by Tld2375 »

Downloading now! Thank you! I’ll see what l can figure out. I’ll try to find some time in the next few days to get some pics.