My 12" 4 jaw has gained weight.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

My 12" 4 jaw has gained weight.

Post by AllenH59 »

I have not needed to put the 12 inch chuck on for years, and it is on a threaded spindle so it has the backing plate weight also.. It used to be easier.
Russ Hanscom

Re: My 12" 4 jaw has gained weight.

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Understand completely, you might consider rigging up a lift of some form.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I put a hoist into my workshop in anticipation of upcoming weight gain of all things.
There's no use in pretending it won't happen to us.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

Yes, I should climb into the ceiling and put a 4x4 over the rafters. Really, now that I remember, I used to leave a 1" bar sticking out of it to hang onto while I am starting it on the threads. It is just a cheap chuck, I paid about $200 for it from somewhere on the web.. But it is like having a flywheel, nice for turning, but I would hate to jam a tool at any speed. It does make my 16x48 lathe a bit more useful.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Never do any work by hand that you could do with a machine; and that goes double for lifting!
I wish I could say that I always take my own advice...
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Some years back I built a traveling hoist over the two biggest lathes I have. I used two pieces of medium depth 20' unistrut spaced 4' apart and have a Harbor Freight 1300lb lift electric hoist on a carriage that can travel the length of that unistrut as well as almost the 4' spacing. Unistrut makes rollers much like barn door rollers only rated for more load, I used 8 of the ones rated for iirc 600 lbs each. Far more than the HF hoist can lift. The only drawback to the HF hoist is they tend to spool in and out fairly fast. The main unistrut was leveled and lag bolted to the floor joists above. For large lathe chucks I built a "C" frame with the bottom part of the "C" having a rotating sleeve so that you clamp it into the chuck and can index the chuck easily or as on the big old American lathe thread the chuck onto the spindle. The top of the "C" is adjustable to level chucks depending on their weight.
The traveling hoist was mainly intended for use on the lathes but over the years I have lifted even V8 engines onto and off of engine stands and a generator head that is in the 700 lb range. Like Liveabroad pointed out its best use is those 50lb or so lifts you do frequently that finally get you down in the back and having an easy to use system to eliminate that is worth the effort.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I made this; rolls on home made steel wheels in channel.
I should have used bigger channel and bigger wheels, but it works ok.

It rolls forward + back, pivots side to side, and can protrude 2 1/2 feet out the door.
container hoist 3.jpg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

What you need is something some people call a "sky hook".

This design allows you to balance the weight.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ALCOSTEAM wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:27 am The only drawback to the HF hoist is they tend to spool in and out fairly fast.
I'm using an electric hoist made in Italy, and it, too, has the same problem. I've addressed that issue by making a set of blocks (triple reduction) which reduce the speed to an acceptable rate. Works great! :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Most hoists are too fast and speed reduction is desirable; just remember that as far as the hoist is concerned, its capacity is rated for a single line and if you triple it, it thinks it has triple lifting capacity, which might exceed the capacity of something else.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Actually this HF hoist is rated at 1300 using the double line. I tried it single line first time I used it.... I think if I could get it mounted to a fishing pole I could set a hook with it, crazy fast.
A couple of times I have hooked a small chain hoist to the HF hoist to make it easy to do small adjustments. Electric hoist for fast, hand power for slow.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I lucked out when I was working for the foundry. My supervisor, a Master Electrician, and I were cleaning out a large storage shelf. There was a fairly new 2 speed Budget hoist, 240vac, 3 phase, 1/2 ton, that he was going to throw out. I volunteered to take it home and he sure; "you've got three phase?, no, I use a rotary phase converter. His answer, "There is no way that you can run three phase equipment off of single phase!" My answer, "I would like to try it." That 2 speed hoist has been wonderful!